tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a little business in Creede Colo. this morn and drove through Lake City over to Ouray here today. Stopped off at the site where a fella named Alfred Packard had dinner on a few of his comrades back in 1874. I think the summer time town celebration there in Lake City is called, Alfred Packard Days. I wonder what they all serve up during that event. :dontknow: I'm thinking that's one way to make on wikipedia :laughing7: Alferd Packer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• creed 1.jpg
    creed 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • creed 2.jpg
    creed 2.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 67
  • creed 3.jpg
    creed 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • creed 4.jpg
    creed 4.jpg
    732.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you know that CU's cafeteria is named 'Alferd Packer Restaurant and Grill'?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
And you know that CU's cafeteria is named 'Alferd Packer Restaurant and Grill'?

My daughter went to CU, and she told me that. I also heard that Kit Carson said, "In starving times, don't walk in front of Old Bill Williams." I think there is some history out there that
told exactly how it happened.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter went to CU, and she told me that. I also heard that Kit Carson said, "In starving times, don't walk in front of Old Bill Williams." I think there is some history out there that
told exactly how it happened.
I guess we'll never know the real truth of the story, because Packer was the only one left to tell it and he had more then one version of the event. I read once in a book of an eye witness description of Old Bill Williams. They described him as short in old tatted buckskins and he looked as if he was completely dipped in bear grease and he walked slowly like a waddling duck. I think that's how he was described if I recall correctly. I've wondered about this guy. He was known as the only game around in hundreds of miles of wilderness. Seems a fella like that could have amassed a small fortune from his little enterprise trading post of Hardscrabble. I can't say I've ever herd a story of a treasure hidden by Old Bill Williams, but he seems from what I've read of him as the type that would have a stash that only he would know about.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread