BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Lupine's

Several years ago the power company placed a pole by our grape vines. The bottom soil was on the top around the hold, and looked pretty sterile. I remembered that lupine's grow out in the wilds of the desert with little rain and plenty sterile looking soil. The greenhouse had some hybred lupines that were supposed to grow large, so I figured why not give it a try. I bought three plants. The first one died the first year, the next to die was after 3 or 4 years, and the one in the picture just keeps on keeping on. Been over ten years now, and the top stem of the tallest flowers is 44"
long. This is mind blowing to me, because I'm used to seeing the desert lupines that are growing in lava rocks, and they are 4 or 5 inches tall, or the high country lupines in the meadows that are 8 inches to a foot tall.
lupine3edit.jpg
lupine1edit.jpg
lupine2edit.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Lupine. BTW your vines are growing well. I'm not even seeing a buds on mine and some of the shoots are brittle and dead. Do you think my grape vines may be toast? Their at least 10 years old and I can't remember when they sprout leaves. Last year I got buckets of grape out of them. I'm getting a bit concerned about it and I even took a drive today to a yard I know other grape vines are and those didn't have any leaves either, so I may just be jump'n the gun in my concerns over it. I just don't know???

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I like Lupine. BTW your vines are growing well. I'm not even seeing a buds on mine and some of the shoots are brittle and dead. Do you think my grape vines may be toast? Their at least 10 years old and I can't remember when they sprout leaves. Last year I got buckets of grape out of them. I'm getting a bit concerned about it and I even took a drive today to a yard I know other grape vines are and those didn't have any leaves either, so I may just be jump'n the gun in my concerns over it. I just don't know???

We had a mild mild winter, and early spring. That has happened in the past and and the grapes started leafing out early, and the frost got them every time. This year not only are the leafs early, it's loaded with little tiny grapes already. We had a couple of frosts, but not enough to get the leaves. These are concords, and I don't try to take care of them, rarely prune, and they grow in-spite of me. They are more or less a summertime privacy fence between us and the neighbors with the benefit of some tasty grapes in the fall.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions