Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, rascals! In reality they're more of a nuisance to my camp sites than bears or mountain lions have ever been. You really have to secure your food. One time one stole a fish that was cooking on the fire. Worse, Maria will feed one, and he calls up his buddies, and pretty soon you have a whole herd in camp. Along with the ground squirrels.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had them run across my legs while I was deer hunting. They ARE cute but , like rg says, they'll eat up your camp food.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll trade you a few squirrels for one of those. :D

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Simon, Theodore and Alvin. Cute little critters. Be nice if you have kids that love and worship chipmunks. Or at least don't shoot them while the kid's around.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The loggers around here call them "timber tigers." I guess because of the stripes. Long long ago, and far far away I had a job packing mules with peoples camp gear and delivering
the goods into the mountains. We had quite a bunch of horses and mules, and in the morning we'd catch up the ones going to be used for the day, and tie them to a hitch rail which
also had a feed trough, and we'd feed grain to the stock while they were being brushed and saddled. Horses seem to chew with their mouths open, and they would slobber grain out
of their mouth and it would end on the ground, and the chipmunks would hustle in there and and get that grain. To a chipmunk my legs were no different than a horse, so they would
be right at my feet eating grain. They don't seem to look up, and I could lean over the hitch rail, reach straight down and take my finger and thump him on top of the head. The chipmunk would
scrunch his head down and start cussing in the chipmunk language. Pretty soon he'd start eating again, and I'd thump him again, with the same results. After two or three thumps he'd
would move over. They never did seem to catch on and look up. Some might think I was being mean, but I thought then, and still do think it was funny. Really ticked those little buggers
off though.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many beats per minute they're heart rate is?. Those little guys can sure move around quickly.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
The loggers around here call them "timber tigers." I guess because of the stripes. Long long ago, and far far away I had a job packing mules with peoples camp gear and delivering
the goods into the mountains. We had quite a bunch of horses and mules, and in the morning we'd catch up the ones going to be used for the day, and tie them to a hitch rail which
also had a feed trough, and we'd feed grain to the stock while they were being brushed and saddled. Horses seem to chew with their mouths open, and they would slobber grain out
of their mouth and it would end on the ground, and the chipmunks would hustle in there and and get that grain. To a chipmunk my legs were no different than a horse, so they would
be right at my feet eating grain. They don't seem to look up, and I could lean over the hitch rail, reach straight down and take my finger and thump him on top of the head. The chipmunk would
scrunch his head down and start cussing in the chipmunk language. Pretty soon he'd start eating again, and I'd thump him again, with the same results. After two or three thumps he'd
would move over. They never did seem to catch on and look up. Some might think I was being mean, but I thought then, and still do think it was funny. Really ticked those little buggers
off though.
Thanks for the story. Enjoyed it. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread