Dirty Face

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
This Badger ran across the gravel road in front of me. I stopped and looked over the bank and saw him go in a hole. Stood with my camera aimed at the hole, and about two minutes later he came out. I took this picture, and he ran back into the hole.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Very cool. :icon_thumright: I have yet to see a "coastal" badger.
I lived in the south Willamette Valley for many years, and I don't think we had any at all there. They seem to like the more arid dryer climates. We have a few here where I live now in the Crescent Lake area, but a lot more further east.
I found this one today in a timbered area above Silver Lake.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
A Badger can be a real mean dude if your farm dogs checks them out.
Yeah, They are very tough, and can be vicious. This was a big one too. Don't know what to compare it to in size, but maybe the size of a medium sized dog like a Cocker Spaniel with short legs.

S

stefen

Not the same but I cornered a groundhog when I was 10 or so...damn near tore me a new one.

There's a moral there somewhere like..."Don't screw with Mother Nature"...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha! Dang!! that guy with the camera still there.Wish he'd just go and leave me alone. Great shot Ron. I tried to get a shot of one that cross the road in the sage country of Nevada. He didn't like me following him either.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great photo, I love the look on his face. Those critters are nothing but muscle, teeth and claws with an attitude.

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
I have always had at least a pair of working dogs on my small farm because I farm with horses and mules and one day a few yrs ago my pair of 3 yr old Heeler dogs decided they didn't like the new neighbor MR Badger that moved in so they decided to move him. The Badger is still here and I had to take my Heelers to the Dr for many stitches. Now the heelers keep their distance and walk around Mr Badger.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that's why they've no need to run fast and away from any coyote. From some of the ground I've seen their borrows in sure makes me wonder about the force and power they have in those claws of theirs. That face of they have kind of goes without saying. You mess me and I'll leave a lasting impression on face about that thought you had. True survivors they are.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom taught me to be deathly afraid of badgers, just run like anything if I saw one. They are cool to watch, as it looks like they just flow along the ground. On the other hand, my grandpa told me how to catch one. You run alongside them, then jump up and land with both feet on their back. They have a long spine and you will break it, and you can deal with them. I guess that is if you really needed a badger; I never had need of one. They weren't valued for their meat so much but more for their hides.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
My mom taught me to be deathly afraid of badgers, just run like anything if I saw one. They are cool to watch, as it looks like they just flow along the ground. On the other hand, my grandpa told me how to catch one. You run alongside them, then jump up and land with both feet on their back. They have a long spine and you will break it, and you can deal with them. I guess that is if you really needed a badger; I never had need of one. They weren't valued for their meat so much but more for their hides.
I used to trap most everything when I was younger, but don't anymore. Have gotten soft in my old age.
A badger is one thing I never caught, but my dad has. Most trappers I know of never purposely went after badger's because their fur wasn't worth much. Occasionally coyote trappers will catch one by accident, and the ground around the area where they were caught looks like ten sticks of dynamite went off.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pic! I have never seen one either.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I guess that's why they've no need to run fast and away from any coyote. From some of the ground I've seen their borrows in sure makes me wonder about the force and power they have in those claws of theirs. That face of they have kind of goes without saying. You mess me and I'll leave a lasting impression on face about that thought you had. True survivors they are.
:laughing7::laughing7: They are a cousin to the wolverine. They don't go looking for trouble like the wolverine does, but anything that bothers them will wish they hadn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread