Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a 65 hr. week I was glad to get away to this area sw of Fairplay, CO and camp for a night. Doesn't attract many tourists and as near as I could figure my nearest neighbor was about 5 miles away last night. This is my favorite spot, and it's right on top of a prehistoric lithic workshop with hundreds of flakes of Trout Creek jasper they brought in to use in tool production. They didn't leave any complete pieces lying around for my admiration though. Lots of columbines in bloom. Rain most of the afternoon and night, a balmy 65 in the day and a comfortable 49 at night.

Attachments

• 7-6a.jpg
    7-6a.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 7-6b.jpg
    7-6b.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 7-6d.jpg
    7-6d.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 7-6e.jpg
    7-6e.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 7-6f.jpg
    7-6f.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 61

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a quiet and peaceful area. No mosquito's?

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually saw one mosquito, od. They don't function real well at high altitudes and are usually very slow. There's probably more down below where I was in Bayou Salado. They never seem to be attracted much to me and if I could figure out why that is I would pass it on. The place I camp that seems to have the most and more lively mosquitos is up in Middle Park around Heeney. At least I see more there.

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You RGINN for always supplying us with beautiful pics and informative stories.
I for one love your posts.
Please keep up the great work.

Engine

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Moose in that area yet? I drove today to Montrose via McClure pass by Marble. Nice, cool and drizzly day I must say. Kind of nice from the last time I was in the high country. My truck temp gauge gauge was hitting the red going up Monarch 3 or so weeks ago. It was pretty hot back then. I need a new radiator. So many bugs, birds, gravel and sand has hit that thing in the 307k miles it has I can't see much air blowing through it anymore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rain plays hell with my hairdo, hahaha! I don't put the tarp up for the stray rain shower but when it's constant rain like we're gettin now I have it up. I like to sit underneath it and read a while, and I'll have the bedroll under there at night. Later on in the fall when we start gettin heavy frosts, I've found if I set it right at about 3ft. high frost doesn't form on my sleeping bag for some reason. I like the tarp better when it snows because it doesn't collapse like tents do under the weight. Quite an experience wakin up in a tent that's collapsed under heavy snow fall, believe me!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've awakened in my tent after a heavy snowfall and hardly had room inside to move around. The worst part was I had left my boots outside. :(

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10ft. x 20ft., embrym. Always good to have a couple of tarps along and at least 50ft. of dependable rope. And never leave your boots outside in porcupine country!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread