tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming home last night I decided to go over Cottonwood pass for the first time this year. I can do that when it's open when I go to Ouray. July in that town is very busy and the rooms are dang expensive, but they take the cost down by mid August. I'm looking forward to at least a few more trips over this pass before it closes this year. I couldn't figure out why everybody wanted to drive so frick'n fast over it yesterday afternoon. I wanted to just creep along, so I let all the other folks who just kept coming up on my ass pass when they could. I ain't pull'n over. They all made me feel like some kind of farmer on the road with his International Harvester. Oh well! I didn't miss any of the beauty of the trip over. I took it slow and soaked it all in. To hell with them and no thanks to you who could show what you can do in a Subaru.

Attachments

• ouray july 7.jpg
    ouray july 7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • ouray july 3.jpg
    ouray july 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • ouray july 2.jpg
    ouray july 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • ouray july 1.jpg
    ouray july 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Gorgeous Landscapes Grant!!..........I have had lots of similar experiences with traffic on mountain roads. Like the time I was going down a steep hill on a narrow two lane mountain road with a heavy load of lumber. Going slow with four way flasher's on, and in a low gear, so the brakes wouldn't overheat, and kill myself, and everyone else on the road. Had a guy behind me riding so close I couldn't see him in the mirrors most of the time, except when he would cross the double yellow line to flash his high beams in my mirror. When he finally passed me in his Subaru, while waving one finger at me, I noticed the coexist bumper sticker.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous Landscapes Grant!!..........I have had lots of similar experiences with traffic on mountain roads. Like the time I was going down a steep hill on a narrow two lane mountain road with a heavy load of lumber. Going slow with four way flasher's on, and in a low gear, so the brakes wouldn't overheat, and kill myself, and everyone else on the road. Had a guy behind me riding so close I couldn't see him in the mirrors most of the time, except when he would cross the double yellow line to flash his high beams in my mirror. When he finally passed me in his Subaru, while waving one finger at me, I noticed the coexist bumper sticker.
I know! I don't get it why they what to drive this stretch as if their in a world class rally race. If that's what they want, they can wait til the seasons ended and do that at night when no ones out in the light to enjoy the scenery. Indeed!..The landscape was just about perfect to photograph. This I did with the phone cam. The clouds made for just about a perfect amount of light and shadow for taking pictures. As for those Coexisters stickers, I believe that goes without saying that person just believes no one has ever gave a chit what they think about any of their ideas imo.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
People are so caught up in their minds they miss what is right in front of them,of course they didn't miss you,and you didn't miss what they missed...did I say that right?:laughing7:

Safe Blessed travels to you Grant.

GOD Bless

Chris

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I know! I don't get it why they what to drive this stretch as if their in a world class rally race. If that's what they want, they can wait til the seasons ended and do that at night when no ones out in the light to enjoy the scenery. Indeed!..The landscape was just about perfect to photograph. This I did with the phone cam. The clouds made for just about a perfect amount of light and shadow for taking pictures. As for those Coexisters stickers, I believe that goes without saying that person just believes no one has ever gave a chit what they think about any of their ideas imo.
Yep, lighting is everything, no matter what camera you use.........Another experience I had was in the California Redwoods. A carload of obvious tourists, driving like hell trying to pass at every opportunity. They passed me four times. They would pass, then pull over at the next turn out. I would see them out gawking at the trees as I went by, then shortly they would be on my rear again. Don't know why they couldn't drive at a normal speed and take in the view.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock!! GORGEOUS Country and Thanks for the Pics!! You have some very inspiring areas out there!! Hope you're well!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subaru, apparently the official state car of Colorado, haha! They were probably cussin and callin you a gaper, tr! I been here 11 years and I'm still about half gaper myself though. Heard they had a lot of mudslides and even had to evacuate and close that one campground down by Cottonwood Lake here recently. Fine with me I guess since I've only had one week in over a month where I got two days off. I think their campaign to promote Summit County as a 'summer destination' is workin.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking at the third photo and the tree line got me wondering how high this pass was, now I know it's high.:thumbsup:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Love those high mountains this time of year. At this late stage of my life I'm not much for that high country in the winter.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subaru, apparently the official state car of Colorado, haha! They were probably cussin and callin you a gaper, tr! I been here 11 years and I'm still about half gaper myself though. Heard they had a lot of mudslides and even had to evacuate and close that one campground down by Cottonwood Lake here recently. Fine with me I guess since I've only had one week in over a month where I got two days off. I think their campaign to promote Summit County as a 'summer destination' is workin.
Didn't here about the mudslides, but I'm sure there was a few. It was sure pretty green up on top from all the rain. Indeed! Summit is the place to be. I'm sure they'd like to see a more select crowd over these gaper's. Times do change. When I lived in Leadville it was a hell raising kind of town in the 70's with all us miners around. Now it's the location of the Leadville 100 that attracts folks from all over the world. Salida and Fairplay is the place to meet up with all the other stoners legally now. I'm thinking it's best for the region to have a crowd of uppity and cool folks spending their hard earned money on the many activities in the mountain towns. Be better then in the 1930's when Colorado was the place to get out of Chicago til things cool down a bit and bringing in notorious folks like Dean O'Banion and Louis "Two Gun" Alterie causing trouble when they got little liquored up. I've often wondered if Alterie ever stash any Tommy's guns someplace in Colorado like the ranch he once owned? From Gangsters to Gaper's. You could just about write a book about the many type of folks who've come to Colorado over the many decades.

Attachments

• gansters in colorado.jpg
    gansters in colorado.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those high mountains this time of year. At this late stage of my life I'm not much for that high country in the winter.
This is what it looks like on a mid October morning. Pretty quiet that time of the year.

Attachments

• cottonwood oct 15 13.jpg
    cottonwood oct 15 13.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread