Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN2340.JPG DSCN2344.JPG DSCN2347.JPG DSCN2348.JPG

Chipper was taking peanuts from my hand so I switched to sunflower seeds and he climbs right up on my hand to get them. Lifted him right off the ground in third pic, he just kept on licking them up and storing them in his ample pouches. Little cutie seems to be getting braver, he didn't seem to even mind my getting the camera close up to him. I know they can be pests if there are too many around, but a few are alright with me. Dang, I just noticed auto correct made an odd word out of chipmunk in the title!!

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is trusting..I sure would like to have one of them around here start eating like that.:icon_thumleft:

GOD Bless

Chris

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish we had those instead of all these tree rats down here. Nice shots.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We had about eight around the place now I only see a couple, I think the Black Rat snake is getting bigger. Great shots of Chippy.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sure knows how to muck up a lot of those in his cheeks.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty smart critter. He sure got you trained. Better buy a warm jacket so you won't catch cold while feeding him this winter...

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty smart critter. He sure got you trained. Better buy a warm jacket so you won't catch cold while feeding him this winter...

Actually they hibernate here in the winter unlike their cousins the grey squirrels. They don't store fat like bears but their bodies slow down and they live underground eating stored seeds and nuts. This little guy has been storing so many peanuts and sunflower seeds he'll likely have a good winter if a snake or hawk doesn't find him first.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually they hibernate here in the winter unlike their cousins the grey squirrels. They don't store fat like bears but their bodies slow down and they live underground eating stored seeds and nuts. This little guy has been storing so many peanuts and sunflower seeds he'll likely have a good winter if a snake or hawk doesn't find him first.

I see on Nat Geo that they store 5 pounds of seed to carry them through the winter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread