Camping & Fishing at Ft Bragg, CA

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent a week camping in the Ft Bragg area at Dolphin Isle Marina. Took the girls out to the buoys so they could get a close -up look at the seals and then we went fishing. We caught a LOT of bottom fish but the salmon aren't hitting yet. Had to buy a salmon off a commercial guy so I could smoke it at the campground. The strange pic is a jellyfish, they were everywhere. Got a pic of my cousin with a couple of her ling cod. Fun trip that ended WAY too soon. We already booked for 2 weeks this next trip. :)
(if you click on the pic of the jellyfish to make it larger, you can see the tentacles a little better)

Attachments

• fb49.jpg
    fb49.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 66
  • fb36.jpg
    fb36.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 59
  • fb19.jpg
    fb19.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 70
  • fb120.jpg
    fb120.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 68
  • fb122.jpg
    fb122.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will gladly trade 2 salmon for 1 Ling cod. :laughing7:We have been catching them off the rocks, in the kelp beds.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just aren't around Ft Bragg yet. The salmon we bought we got off a commercial fisherman and he only caught 2 that day. We might have gotten one hit on the downrigger but it didn't stick. Lings, on the other hand, are EVERYWHERE! They even raised the limit on them from 2 to 3 this year. They just have to be 22 inches or bigger which isn't a problem either. We wasted a whole day trolling for salmon and spent the last part of the day converting to the bottom. Can't beat fish tacos in camp made with fish caught that day. :)
How much tackle are you losing in that kelp? :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This "boat" was right at the mouth of the Noyo River just before you hit open ocean. I heard it had been used on some tv show. Thought it was kinda neat.

Attachments

• fb9.jpg
    fb9.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One morning was really foggy so we only took my son's boat out. He has radar on board so you don't have to worry about running into anyone and the chart reader keeps you out of shallow waters. This pic was taken just as we entered open water; it got a lot thicker the further we went. Didn't start burning off til mid day.

Attachments

• fb123.jpg
    fb123.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 44

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just aren't around Ft Bragg yet. The salmon we bought we got off a commercial fisherman and he only caught 2 that day. We might have gotten one hit on the downrigger but it didn't stick. Lings, on the other hand, are EVERYWHERE! They even raised the limit on them from 2 to 3 this year. They just have to be 22 inches or bigger which isn't a problem either. We wasted a whole day trolling for salmon and spent the last part of the day converting to the bottom. Can't beat fish tacos in camp made with fish caught that day. :)
How much tackle are you losing in that kelp? :)

I lose at least 1 per trip. I have a LOT of these, many different colors, shapes. Garage sale find.

DSCN8892.JPG

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes! Jellyfish...Not sure a model T boats a good idea ???

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I went over to Ft. Bragg to shoe some horses one time. Got done by 1:PM or so, and stopped by a local bar/diner to get a sandwich on the way home. This was in the day that Ft. Bragg
was logger country, and I had to laugh. In the corner of the joint, there was a TV set without a tube in it. A sign said, "We don't have TV, but we have fights every night."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread