tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even imagine how many miles I've been up and down Interstate 80 in my life. I use to travel sometimes with my dad along I80 when he worked for the Chicago Northwestern RR as a Ag agent in the summer when I was out of school. He would drive from Chicago to Cheyenne and inspected cattle before they were loaded on the train to head to the packing houses back east. I even hitchhiked it once from Des Moines, Iowa to the SF Bay area in 1975 when was 19 years old. I'll never forget that trip and remember it almost every step of the way. This I80 road the truckers call the "big road" or at least they did when I had a CB in my vehicles. The first picture is going east this morning at a point that's called the "three sisters" known for a series of 3 big up and down hills. The other three pictures I took are the remnants of the overland stage route that was used from 1862 to 1868. The info sign had a map that shows the locations of these long forgotten stage stops along the route. I wish I had the time to explore these places located along the route. I wonder if anything evidence could be found as to where these places were once? I can only imagine what it was like to travel on this overland road back then. I80 today in Wyoming is like driving on glass with the way they keep it up with a concrete surface and all. I wonder how long it'll be in use ? It was born the same year as me in 1956.

Checking out some of these points on the map. I see there are ruins that can still be found at Fort LaClede. This link has some photo's at the site. http://www.over-land.com/ftlacledegallery.html This make me want to get out there and explore this old road even more.

Attachments

• wyo overland 1.jpg
    wyo overland 1.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 56
  • wyo overland 2.jpg
    wyo overland 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • wyo overland 3.jpg
    wyo overland 3.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • wyo overland 4.jpg
    wyo overland 4.jpg