Agrivating yellow jackets

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a couple of Hummingbird feeders, and quit a number of birds taking advantage of them. Then along came a single yellow jacket, and he would keep the birds run off the feeder. Just a single bee, but every time a bird would try to eat that bee would drive it off. So I decided to fix that critter, and put out a yellow jacket trap, baited with raw bacon. The trap was out and caught all these bees in 5 hours, and the hummingbirds have been left alone to free load on my sugar. I was really surprised at the number I caught, I figured that there was only one or two bugging the birds.
bees.jpg
The heat killed those critters pretty fast. It was over 90 degrees, so they cooked inside that trap.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those buggers deserve it. I bumped my fence with the mower a couple years ago that had a hornets nest behind a post. I didn't see it and the first sting I thought was the cause of the mower throwing out a hot spark, Duh!. Next thing I knew was an attack by the whole swarm. They got a few more stings in me as I fled running and waving my arms leaving the mower behind. I just can't ever find the need to respect those creature of the natural world. Some species of wasp I do admire, such as Mud Daubers. I enjoy watching them collecting mud to build their dwellings. They never seem to put themselves in places that cause a problem as those Yellow Jackets do.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you know if you put gasoline in a spray bottle and spray wasps in flight it will drop them dead out of the sky? Spray their nest down, and they're done with. I should add I am a trained professional, do not try this at home.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you know if you put gasoline in a spray bottle and spray wasps in flight it will drop them dead out of the sky? Spray their nest down, and they're done with. I should add I am a trained professional, do not try this at home.

I do know that pouring gasoline, into the entrance to the nest in the ground, then lighting it, fixes the weed eating viking from getting stung!:laughing7: And being me....I use about 3 gallons!:laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way more better than that Oregon Viking, you take and and shoot acetyline into that underground den, then spark it off, and you explode them all! And of course that sort of thing is only done by paid professional stunt men on TV, not somethin we would want to attempt in real life.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way more better than that Oregon Viking, you take and and shoot acetyline into that underground den, then spark it off, and you explode them all! And of course that sort of thing is only done by paid professional stunt men on TV, not somethin we would want to attempt in real life.

Ohhhh....I like that! And of course it will be done at night....:laughing7:
I attempt many things that warning labels say I should not...:headbang:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't smoke during during application.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

An easy fix for the yellow jackets......get an extra large plastic bottle of cola empty some of the contents then put the cap back on and poke a couple of large size holes just below the neck area....tie a string around the neck and hand it somewhere or other and they go in to get at the sweet stuff and drown.

Regards + HH

Bill

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used that also Viking but no luck. Maybe it's the type of bee?? Wouldn't it work on wasps and yellow jackets?

Put a cotton ball in the bottom of the trap, add this. Works great for me, Gets lots of yellow jackets.

A058_1_20110429_8f56da15-567a-4e2b-b2dd-c1c53436deb91061761.jpg

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Gilda Radner and I got attacked by yellow jackets one time.

SNLKillerBees.jpg

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those buggers deserve it. I bumped my fence with the mower a couple years ago that had a hornets nest behind a post. I didn't see it and the first sting I thought was the cause of the mower throwing out a hot spark, Duh!. Next thing I knew was an attack by the whole swarm. They got a few more stings in me as I fled running and waving my arms leaving the mower behind. I just can't ever find the need to respect those creature of the natural world. Some species of wasp I do admire, such as Mud Daubers. I enjoy watching them collecting mud to build their dwellings. They never seem to put themselves in places that cause a problem as those Yellow Jackets do.

I got read the riot act because I sprayed a hornet's nest where many in my small town walk their dogs. I warned a fellow about them and he told me they had as much right to life as anything else. I secretly hoped he got stung lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread