tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been going over Cottonwood pass as much as I can to do my thing in Ouray Colo. once a month. The pass is pretty busy with traffic this time of the year and hunting season I may even more camp trailers. Maybe I should quit selling mining stuff and get me a job as an RV salesman? I'm thinking with all I know of the open road and the places in the west to go, I could maybe hook this folks looking to buy a camper with all the stories I could tell them. They'd be sold on the idea of an adventure in a new camp trailer after I got to telling them what all they've been missing.

It's getting some rain up on top and in the mountain valleys and cooling down also. I took this picture as I was headed to Ouray for one day. I came over the pass last night and sat on top and watched some pretty awesome lighting strikes going on below to the west side. It was to dark at that time for any good pictures on the trip back. I had Mexican at a place called the "Grill" in Leadville and hit some pretty heavy rain with thunder and lighting going up Fremont pass. I's cool how the lighting lights up the valley on these moonless nights.

Attachments

• cotton wood aug 1.jpg
    cotton wood aug 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What's the elevation of that pass? Darn sure pretty country, but I think I'd really be huffing and puffing trying to breath up there.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a bit over 12000 feet

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Leadville where John Johnston served as deputy sheriff a while.
Dang fine scenery and history out there..
R.V. and trailer parts and service I worked at a while. Ain't like white canvas but sure does have it's draw for some.
Thanks for sharing. That terrace of a road do look kinda skinny though...:o

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, you lead a really terrific life...
Thank's Austin. I had a job in the 90's that I flew and was gone all the time and I began to hate the heck out of that. This driving is starting to get the better of me as time goes on, but overall I still do enjoy these drives and oddly enough I like driving the winter even more, because things just seem to calm down that time of the year. Thoughts of giving up this travel are stating to come in my mind some as I'll bet I've only been with my wife only 25% of the 28 years we've been married. I think that's also how we stayed together so well. If I do give it up I'll still do something to stay the hell out of the house.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R.V. and trailer parts and service I worked at a while. Ain't like white canvas but sure does have it's draw for some.
The trip I did before this one over cottonwood a fella did go over the edge with a big pull camper. There were folks down talking to him as he was trapped in the truck upside down. He was telling everyone he was ok, and they called the emt's by the time I came by and they told the lady that called not to try and get him out if there was no other danger. I can't think of how that situation would play out without these cell phones we have today. That guy would be trapped in his truck for a few hours in those days.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stop for dinner at Jan's restaurant in Buena Vista, Colo. a lot for some liver & onions. The other place I hit for the same scrumptious plate of some tasty. L&O is the Colt restaurant in Battle Mountain, Nevada.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions