Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove down here today specifically to look for prehistoric sites, and located one. Turned out to be harder than I thought. I figured I would just look for that red and yellow jasper they quarried and used for tool making. Find it I did, and quality stuff. But it turns out that rock is all over the ground here. And most of it was naturally chipped up, not by man. The clue I needed was when I found some flakes of a type of white quartz in one area. This material doesn't flake up naturally, and it doesn't occur here; it's the type from a prehistoric quarry over south of Hartsel. Couple other items of interest at the site that got my interest, but I'll have to do a little more study and research before I can comment on them. You could probably find some arrowheads here if you took the time and walked the ground. The camp site is in one of these pics if anybody wants to go look.

Attachments

• 8-25aa.jpg
    8-25aa.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 8-25bb.jpg
    8-25bb.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 8-25cc.jpg
    8-25cc.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 8-25dd.jpg
    8-25dd.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 8-25ee.jpg
    8-25ee.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 52

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you found some interesting jasper. Is that one piece the white quartz you were talking about? I've had good luck in bunch grass type of country, looking for arrowheads horseback. The horse looked out where he's going, while I looked at the ground. Works best right after a rain.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that was the key, definitely produced by percussion. A few more pieces were scattered around. I should have provided something for scale, but the quartz piece is about an inch long. I just picked up a handful of representative samples and tossed them down for the pic. Actually in that pic there's the top half of a crudely worked point, couple of mid sections of points, and one throwaway cutting tool. It's all pretty much prehistoric Ute, and I kinda feel they were about the dullest artisans around. They just pretty much just manufactured what worked for the job at hand.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a promising area.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down towards Bassam Park, tamrock, I think you been there.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down towards Bassam Park, tamrock, I think you been there.
Been a while. I had an aquarium I filled the bottom up with all that same kind of jasper when I lived up in chaffee county. Looks like the weather was cooperative that day you were up there. Had a nice thunderstorm over here in Ouray this afternoon.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking spot in the last photo, but I see several good spots in the other pictures. I find that similar silicafied quartz here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread