Pilot Butte and the end of the road for many.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at this pull-off along Wyoming highway 28 west of Farson and east of where the road crosses the Green River. This Butte that's 25 miles to the south of this spot was a mile post to all who traveled out west of the Missouri to the western frontier. The info mentioned this land mark was also one the fur trappers recognized going back to the 1830. As you can see some folks never finished the trip they hoped to so long ago. I can only imagine what that kind of a journey must have been like. It was dry and windy at this spot and nothing but sage for as far as the eye could see. At this point the settlers had already gone a very long ways and if they were heading to California or Oregon they still had a long long ways to go. Good thing from this point the crossing of the Green river was around 25 to 30 miles ahead to a place called Lombard Ferry were they could cross the river and maybe relax a few days in the shade of the big Cottonwood trees. About the only good thing here was the sweet smell of the sage or so it seemed to me. I like that aroma of the sage in the late summer. It has a nice smell. Not sure what kind of bird this is, but I've only seen them around this kind of country I'm thinking.

Attachments

• pilot butte 1.jpg
    pilot butte 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • pilot butte 2.jpg
    pilot butte 2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
  • pilot butte 3.jpg
    pilot butte 3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 62
  • pilot butte 4.jpg
    pilot butte 4.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 69
  • pilot butte 5.jpg
    pilot butte 5.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 58
  • pilot butte 6.jpg
    pilot butte 6.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 83

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was written on those tomb stones? Could you make out any of the writing or dates on them?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One looked like it said "Eliason" at best I could read it. The other I couldn't make out other then the number 49' which I took to be 1849. There was another mound unmarked a bit further away.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Conjures up all those wagon train westerns I read as a kid. Poor people, must have been a torturous trek so long ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread