tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my way home today I went over cotton wood pass and in to Buena Vista Colorado. I thought I'd take a slow drive down a road that was laid over an old railroad grade the follows the Arkansas river. I pulled over to see if I could find any arrowheads or something in the way of chips or pieces. I walked in to these Pinon trees on the passenger side where I pulled over my truck and this was the first thing I found in no more then ten minutes. I though I'd have a look around for anything else and didn't ever find another tiny piece of Jasper. I can't believe how fast I found this. I walked right up to it. Over many years I have found some good specimens in this area, but none this easy. That made my day and as the mining business has really been really sucking wind this year, I needed that kind of good sign to come along. This one is about the size of a nickel and not perfect, but still pretty complete.

Attachments

• arrowhead 1.jpg
    arrowhead 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
  • arrowhead 2.jpg
    arrowhead 2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 87

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice point. Tell you a secret. All the stuff I found over my life were on the surface(dozens) because I was always too lazy to dig. Just walked with my head down and envisioned an arrowhead. My eye just focused on that shape. Worked every time. Love that beautiful blue sky...

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little quartz point! :thumbsup: I bet that if you did a little more looking along that area below and above those rims in the background you may find a few more artifacts. But I am sure you were pressed for time in getting back home?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an undamaged perforator or awe, on the berm the road grader, plowed up once in this area. This area has a lot more private homes and land then it did 20 years ago, so that's narrowed down the places I can look through these pinon trees anymore. Yeah, that little band of clear quartz on the edge didn't hold up like the jasper edge did.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing like focusing in on a point laying there in all its beauty.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the road past Railroad Bridge? I found a few red jasper chips just east of Elephant Rock one time but nothin man made. Nice find! I'm headin out to Utah next week for a few days to try to check out some pictographs up around Sego.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the road past Railroad Bridge? I found a few red jasper chips just east of Elephant Rock one time but nothin man made. Nice find! I'm headin out to Utah next week for a few days to try to check out some pictographs up around Sego.
I'd say I was about 1/2 mile north of the tunnels, not quite to the steel RR bridge. The opposite side of the Arkansas is a better place to look around, especially that low area surrounded by the granite bluffs opposite the tunnels. I think you know how to get your vehicle down over there?. I found a spent Henry rim-fire shell in there long ago and up one of the small canyons that goes in to the bluffs is a spring higher up. My Blue Healer had a fight with a Coyote up in there once. I hauled ass up in it yelling to the top of my lungs when I herd all the ruckus and when I found my dog Lucky his hair standing upright stout and stiff on his back. He was was pissed. I didn't see the coyote when I found Lucky, but when I got down to the lower ground I got a notion to look back and there high on a rock was that coyote standing all tall and epic watching us leave. Had I had my S&W Mod. 19 with me that day, I'd a told that devil what I though of him after messing with my dog.

Funny you mention Sego in Utah. I made one short stop at the one location of the Fremont rock art along hwy 64 south of Rangley at the site of Waving Hands this last Wednesday heading to Montrose for the night. Some day I'm going to come down the dirt road that parallels 64 to the west and see all the other pictographs and rock art left by the Fremont's and later the Ute's along that stretch of road. I think you should add this region of NW Colorado to your campsite list. The Dinosaur monument region is totally awesome and not a lot of visitors here soon. Me and my wife took a trip up that way last fall. The canyon of the Yampa river is breathtaking. Loads of places to explore and I wish I had the time to do more. The fall weather in the far NW corner of Colo and over towards Vernal Utah is outstanding. Winters are bad, but in the canyons the rock walls baked in the sun all day keep winter temps at bay within all the canyons. That's why these places were so well inhabited for thousands of years. The rocks store the heat. I've seen the cattle sleep right next to them in the cold winter evenings and mornings. It's all such a unique topography and well suited to survive in. The cottontail rabbits are on an increased populous this year from Rangley all the way up to Thremopolis Wyo from what I noted. I saw so many dead one on the road and running all over the sage country coming south out of the Wyoming area I traveled this last week.

Attachments

• canyon Pintado 1.jpg
    canyon Pintado 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 52
  • canyon Pintado 2.jpg
    canyon Pintado 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • canyon Pintado 3.jpg
    canyon Pintado 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • canyon Pintado 4.jpg
    canyon Pintado 4.jpg