Harvest of Cantaloupe, Bell Peppers and Tomatoes

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a short road trip South of me and my buddy and I picked up some free veggies except we had to pick them ourselves. If we had been an hour or so earlier we could have driven under the tomato harvester and it would have taken less than a minute to fill the truck but the crew had left already. I need the exercise anyway I guess. We gave most of it away to neighbors, family and the food kitchen. Made a ton of salsa and freezing a ton of bell peppers. Got ice cream for the cantaloupe!!!! We still have jars of tomatoes that we canned from last year so we didn't need more. We were a little late for the pear harvest this year but that's okay, still have some of those left as well. I absolutely LOVE harvest time!!!

Attachments

• tom1.jpg
    tom1.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 60
  • tom2.jpg
    tom2.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
S

stefen

The pears this year were out of this world...and blackberries still putting out...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah stefen, we made a big batch of blackberry jam. Between the peach, blackberry and apricot jams that we made we won't have to buy any jam for a very long time. Actually, by the time we need more jam we'll have something ripe again and we'll make more of our own! :)

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a haul for the "Canning King"

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what kind of tomatoes they are. Usually we harvest a roma-type, commercial tomato. They are shaped like romas but have a thicker skin so they can be hauled in large quantities without crushing the ones in the bottom of the truck. We only picked one bucket of those. The other tomatoes, the round ones, are more like you would have in your home garden but I don't know what kind they are.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice haul....but no silver? lol

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro, whites bulls eye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
two words,man.....tomato soup!!!! its kinda time cosuming to make it right but I freezes well, andwith the semi limited possibilities for things to do with an excess of tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and soup tops the list for me. PM me if u get serious and want recipes. do anything except let them go bad!

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't have more tomatoes in large quantity until next season but I have thought about canning some spaghetti sauce. I already have a large stash of Campbell's tomato soup. I know, it's not like homemade but I buy in bulk and it's on sale once in a while. If you have a good recipe for canning sauce you can send it to me or post it on this site in the "recipe" section. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread