Memorial weekend Pow Wow

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
The pictures were taken at the Pow Wow grounds East of Black River Falls, WI. This event takes place every Memorial weekend and is attended by Native Americans from Wisconsin and many other states. It's put on by the Winnebago Nation. It's an interesting cultural event worth seeing first hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0204_1.JPG
    IMG_0204_1.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0203_1.JPG
    IMG_0203_1.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0192_1.JPG
    IMG_0192_1.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0183_1.JPG
    IMG_0183_1.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 228
T

TreasureTales

Interesting. Were there any American flags there? Just curious - this being Memorial Day.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
TT, there should have been a Flag Parade Ceremony at the beginning where a Native American VFW post paraded the American Flag as well as the POW and state flags in as well as a prayer for those who served and died as well as those now serving their country. To serve in the Armed Forces is a very honorable and proud Native American tradition. The Flag Parade is done again at the end of each night's performance.

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Ask and you shall receive. I think that's Chief Clayton Winneshiek leading the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0182_1.JPG
    IMG_0182_1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 214
T

TreasureTales

stoney56 said:
TT, there should have been a Flag Parade Ceremony at the beginning where a Native American VFW post paraded the American Flag as well as the POW and state flags in as well as a prayer for those who served and died as well as those now serving their country. To serve in the Armed Forces is a very honorable and proud Native American tradition. The Flag Parade is done again at the end of each night's performance.

Thanks for the info stoney. I didn't see any American flags in the pix above so I was curious. Last night I watched a documentary about the code talkers - not just the Navajos, but also the Comanches. I had not previously known that the Comanches, too, had used their native language to communicate during WWII. I'm a tiny part Cherokee myself, and I'm very proud of that heritage.

Ah, there are the flags!!! Thanks so much for adding that photo. Now that's what I call a great shot!! Native Americans and the Red, White, and Blue - can't beat it!!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
At the local PowWow's here, they parade the American flag, POW, state, and the local Native American Post flags. Some others also carry the various Armed Forces Flags. Following behind are the War Mother's Society consisting of mothers who's sons and daughters have or are currently serving as well those who've served and those who are serving that can be there as well.

Sorry Sidevalve. Didn't mean to hijack your post. Those are some really great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread