tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This last Saturday I decided to go have another look around the bluffs outside of the town I live. I have so far found some artifacts in this area and I've only begun to look the area over. The best find was the mano stone I posted in the NA Artifacts forum. Beginning in 1990 the county began a system of walking, jogging and bike riding paths all around where I live. This system of trails that is a network of 27 miles now, was finally finished in 2013 through land purchases, planing and trail construction. I'm starting to discover new areas around my home that I've never looked around before. These bluff are not as popular for folks to hike around in as the places along the creeks, but I'm sure enjoying covering the area looking for evidence of past peoples. The topography and terrain of this area suggest to me this was once a very lush and fruitful area, with tall grasses and food sources of all kinds large and small thousands of years ago. Still today one could survive in this area from the turtles, waterfowl and berry's still found in and along the creeks. In these bluffs there are plenty of rabbits, prairie dogs one could survive on. The yucca plants would also provide useful material for footwear and baskets and I think the native peoples also ate the yucca pods? Along the strip of cottonwoods that grow in the gully's there is running water tricking in them from underground springs that enter higher up in the bluffs. This day I only found one flake of the tan jasper so many of the Colorado artifacts are made from. I also found and old marble high up and away from anything. I thought that was odd and it looked like one from the 1940's. Maybe a crow swiped it and left it there some time ago? To me this place has it's own unique beauty in the fall and I sure do hope this place stays undeveloped. It was though a hot day in the mid eighty's, so I did get me a nice tan.

Attachments

• mano hill 4.jpg
    mano hill 4.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 77
  • mano hill 5.jpg
    mano hill 5.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 61
  • mano hill 6.jpg
    mano hill 6.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 53

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can, a good area to look may be between the creek and those small hills in the first photo. Especially if there are any hard-pans.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can, a good area to look may be between the creek and those small hills in the first photo. Especially if there are any hard-pans.

hard-pans?? I did get up there I think?, hard to note where you've been looking down all the time. It's not a primo hunting area, but I do have a lot of acres to cover. I'm checking out all the high points also, but so far I'm finding only the very few items on the bluff and sides to where the mano was found. That was a camp that looked over where two creeks merge and I think an excavation of that spot would possibly yield many things.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the western states there is much overburden from erosion and wind blown materials. But that spot where the two creeks intersect would be an excellent spot to check out. Sometimes just below the crest of hilltops would be ideal spots to sit and knap points while keeping an eye out for game and possible enemies. (You wouldn't want to highlight yourself.)

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the western states there is much overburden from erosion and wind blown materials. But that spot where the two creeks intersect would be an excellent spot to check out. Sometimes just below the crest of hilltops would be ideal spots to sit and knap points while keeping an eye out for game and possible enemies. (You wouldn't want to highlight yourself.)
Got it. That's where if any of the spots I can look, due to the overburden and grass cover.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions