tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday morning at 2:45 AM my dog Ollie (60 pound dog) was barking at something outside my bedroom window. I was 1/2 asleep and kept telling him to shut up. He wouldn't quiet down and then, Bella the little (7 pound dog) I herd messing around trying to hide. I did then think Ollie's bark was different sounding in a cautious manner and I pulled Bella out of the place she was trying to hide in and she was shaking in fear as she knows how to read Ollie's barks and concerns. So at that I got up and sat with Ollie at the window to see what the hell is going on. I was thinking Ollie must be seeing a Raccoon or Skunk in the yard. He sat there staring down the street and growing and barking and I couldn't see anything he was concerned over. He finally gave up and we all went back to sleep. Yesterday morning I find these droppings in the yard and what ever left it eats Rabbits. On Oct. 9th of this month no more then six blocks away a Bull Dog was killed by a large predator and most likely a Mountain Lion is what they believe. The size of these droppings is only a bit larger then a Coyote's IMO, but still that could be what left it?. Normally the Coyote don't like to get in to the neighborhoods that I've noticed, but still I will see them from time to time in the wee hours of the mornings. This is a link to the news report of the Bull Dog killing Lafayette police: Mountain lion likely culprit in backyard mauling of pet dog - Boulder Daily Camera Mountain Lions have from time to time wondered in to this area over the years and there's plenty of places for them to hideout and travel along the irrigation canals which are dry now and like deep trenches throughout the county that they could be cloaked by as they move around. The places were the canals go under roads would be excellent caves for a Mountain Lion to rest the day in. Also the open spaces around have miles of bike paths with 4 and 5 foot tall grasses dry weeds and brush, they could blend in. I've been looking up in the tall Cottonwoods also as I walk under them now, but that's something I've got in the habit of doing anywhere I hike in the open country. As for the food source they would have an abundance of Raccoon's, Rabbits, Prairie Dogs with some deer and amongst the residential areas your Dogs and House Cats. Let me know what you think pooped in my yard. I have compared it to other known cat droppings and I am seeing similarities to Mountain Lion scat. The Mountain Lions that have showed up in this area have all been very young ones to my knowledge so far. Not much older then a year or so.

Attachments

• poop in yard.jpg
    poop in yard.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Squeeze it between your fingers and take a good whiff,if it stinks throw it down.....quick!:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squeeze it between your fingers and take a good whiff,if it stinks throw it down.....quick!:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

It stinks w/o doing that. What ever this is from it ate only meat and hair. The coyote crap seems to always has some vegetation in it, especially the seeds of the Russian Olive trees that grow like weeds around here. The park & open space service has been cutting those down lately were they pop up. From what I see the coyote love to eat Russian Olives.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It stinks w/o doing that. What ever this is from it ate only meat and hair. The coyote crap seems to always has some vegetation in it, especially the seeds of the Russian Olive trees that grow like weeds around here. The park & open space service has been cutting those down lately were they pop up. From what I see the coyote love to eat Russian Olives.

I see a lot of that crap with different berry seeds down the meadows here.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most likely coyote. Cats don't eat vegetable matter. Pooping when being barked at is typical canine behavior, too.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely coyote. Cats don't eat vegetable matter. Pooping when being barked at is typical canine behavior, too.
Jim
This one doesn't have any plant mater from what I can see, but I've noticed the coyote poop is getting darker from more meat diet this time of the year. I know what your saying about pooping when barked at, they squat and pee also when the dogs bark at em. I'm thinking this should be coyote, but it's rare to find coyote crap in the neighborhoods. Mostly skunk and raccoon dropping I find around the yard.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This is getting to be a real s^#&y thread,speaking of that,the resort park I worked at in Tenn.I had to occasionally clean up bear scat when they grabbed a bag of garbage,it comes out as fast as it went in.:tongue3:

Now that was a crappy job!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, A bit out of my line, but cats seem to groom more and as a result have more hair in it, plus it tends to be longer.
I did notice that from online examples. I've traveled the western U.S. by vehicle for 20 years now and driving as much as 50 and 60 thousand miles a year and have only seen one Mountain Lion in all those miles. That one was in Northern New Mexico, but I'm sure they've seen me a whole lot more then I've seen them. I got a business contact in Utah and he's real good at locating them and has a lot of photo's of them in the wild. I'm not so sure the cops around here are all that sure about what killed the Bull Dog in the area, but I haven't seen the dead dog, so I can't say what it was that killed it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I dung come into this thread by accident - I guano go out of it now.

This is the crappiest post I've read on TreasureNet.

However, the combined fecal knowledge here is astounding.

I just had to jump on the turd of this thread, couldn't resist, the meadow muffins abound.

Did you ever realize the number of words available for night soil?

excrement
excreta
feculence
ordure
egesta
ejecta
ejectamenta
droppings
cow pies
cowplop
crap
dung
feces
fertilizer
guano
manure
meadow muffin
night soil
poop
body waste
chips
discharge
stool
evacuation

The terms are limitless....

Watch out where the huskies go!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dung come into this thread by accident - I guano go out of it now.

This is the crappiest post I've read on TreasureNet.

However, the combined fecal knowledge here is astounding.

I just had to jump on the turd of this thread, couldn't resist, the meadow muffins abound.

Did you ever realize the number of words available for night soil?

excrement
excreta
feculence
ordure
egesta
ejecta
ejectamenta
droppings
cow pies
cowplop
crap
dung
feces
fertilizer
guano
manure
meadow muffin
night soil
poop
body waste
chips
discharge
stool
evacuation

The terms are limitless....

Watch out where the huskies go!
No doubt! They even have a website for animal "Scat" that you failed to mention, Identifying animal and wildlife droppings, scat, and feces by photos but like you said the terminology is almost as endless in all the ways Bubba knows to prepare shrimp.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a Sasquatch turd...
At first I thought it was from a Chupacabra....

but you are too far north :P

BTW --- BANNER FIND ! :)

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grant, I'm going to guess it's coyote or fox. Cats are a bit more
discreet with their droppings, while foxes will take a dump right on
top of your stuff just to let you know they're around.

Not much hair in there, so that critter has been on a mostly meat
diet the past 24 hrs.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got go, I am all pooped out..

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a Sasquatch turd...
At first I thought it was from a Chupacabra....

but you are too far north :P

BTW --- BANNER FIND ! :)
I saw a Chupacabra in New Mexico. I was thinking it was a heavily inbreed dog and I still think that what a Chupacabra is, Hideous looking thing it was. It ran from me and disappeared in to a irrigation aqueduct.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday morning at 2:45 AM my dog Ollie (60 pound dog) was barking at something outside my bedroom window. I was 1/2 asleep and kept telling him to shut up. He wouldn't quiet down and then, Bella the little (7 pound dog) I herd messing around trying to hide. I did then think Ollie's bark was different sounding in a cautious manner and I pulled Bella out of the place she was trying to hide in and she was shaking in fear as she knows how to read Ollie's barks and concerns. So at that I got up and sat with Ollie at the window to see what the hell is going on. I was thinking Ollie must be seeing a Raccoon or Skunk in the yard. He sat there staring down the street and growing and barking and I couldn't see anything he was concerned over. He finally gave up and we all went back to sleep. Yesterday morning I find these droppings in the yard and what ever left it eats Rabbits. On Oct. 9th of this month no more then six blocks away a Bull Dog was killed by a large predator and most likely a Mountain Lion is what they believe. The size of these droppings is only a bit larger then a Coyote's IMO, but still that could be what left it?. Normally the Coyote don't like to get in to the neighborhoods that I've noticed, but still I will see them from time to time in the wee hours of the mornings. This is a link to the news report of the Bull Dog killing Lafayette police: Mountain lion likely culprit in backyard mauling of pet dog - Boulder Daily Camera Mountain Lions have from time to time wondered in to this area over the years and there's plenty of places for them to hideout and travel along the irrigation canals which are dry now and like deep trenches throughout the county that they could be cloaked by as they move around. The places were the canals go under roads would be excellent caves for a Mountain Lion to rest the day in. Also the open spaces around have miles of bike paths with 4 and 5 foot tall grasses dry weeds and brush, they could blend in. I've been looking up in the tall Cottonwoods also as I walk under them now, but that's something I've got in the habit of doing anywhere I hike in the open country. As for the food source they would have an abundance of Raccoon's, Rabbits, Prairie Dogs with some deer and amongst the residential areas your Dogs and House Cats. Let me know what you think pooped in my yard. I have compared it to other known cat droppings and I am seeing similarities to Mountain Lion scat. The Mountain Lions that have showed up in this area have all been very young ones to my knowledge so far. Not much older then a year or so.

Its not coyote scat. That is usually full of seeds and rodent hair. We supposedly have mountain lions in the area but have never found any scat with my time in the woods here. Certainly not deer, or any other animal I could say with certainty. Not common cat scat either. We have had coyotes between my house and my neighbors with is roughly 20 feet from the wood line each and have had them howl at the wee hours of the morning. It is defiantly a waker! lol. I would go with your gut instinct and think it could be a mountain lion. I would keep your dogs in the house at night for a while, as they are easy pickings outside. Be careful!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well coyote or young loin either way its a threat to your smaller dogs and or cats ..it will kill and or kill and eat them ..depending upon which one it is ..so load up the 12 gauge shotgun with a 3 in #4 buckshot shell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread