This is whats keeping me away from detecting...

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen people drain private lakes to kill them off. Around here, people like to fish for cats and bass, not carp. When I was in highschool, I worked at a pizza restaurant. Used to to take the left over dough and use it to fish for carp at the public pond. Lots of fun because they fight hard.
I think they don't go down to well in other countries to, I know in Australia it's a offence to put one back alive.

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We hunt them at night by lantern light from a boat with spear or bow and arrow. They make great fertalizer for the garden.
:sadsmiley: Your missing out on some great fishing sport, truly carp are one of the hardest fighting fresh water fish, pound for pound.

SS

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bow fishing for Carp sounds like a real fun thing to do.

Attachments

• carp fishing.jpg
    carp fishing.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver, do you eat those things??
Good lord no, they are treat like gods here and I would be strung up by my short and curlies if I took one. :laughing7: Besides I have heard they taste like mud.

SS

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are Carp so special in Britain ??

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Tamrock, if yoiu get a chance to try some walleye, be sure to do so. It is by far the best out of all the fish available to catch here in our state.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Tamrock, if you get a chance to try some walleye, be sure to do so. It is by far the best out of all the fish available to catch here in our state.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carp fishing in England is purely for the chase, and people pay a lot of money to fish for them on private syndicates. Plenty of other tasty fish to eat, can't imagine a crap tastes very good, and I won't be trying one anytime soon.:laughing7:

SS
I have been told carp are great smoked. They are an oily fish, much like salmon. I plan on giving one a try soon.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The native carp in north america is anything but. It was imported as a sport fish. As for eating I have friends that are originally from Cambodia and they are the fish cooking masters of the universe. They target sheephead. Which are generally considered trash fish and work their magic on the grill.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are Carp so special in Britain ??
Tam it's huge over here, specimen carp fisherman have a average of £5,000 of tackle just for carp, and you can pay anything up to £1500 a year for a decent syndicate. A young good strain carp of 20lb is worth well over a grand, perhaps two, a 30lb would set a fishery owner back £5000.

SS

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow: because they look so much like their women? :laughing7:
Not so sure on that Jason. At least their lady roll models have "class" and our lady roll models are well! you decide :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• kate.jpg
    kate.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 65
  • kim.jpg
    kim.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
carp are eaten here in the USA by folks who know how to properly clean them ( avoid the mud vein , and you will get huge chunks of tasty white meat which is good fried) ... in England carp fishing is a lot like Trophy Bass fishing is here in America , generally most folks would not DARE TO KILL AND EAT A 8 LB TROPHY BASS in America and tell any real bass fisherman they did so..the same goes for carp in Britain ..kill and eat a trophy carp ? oh the horror ...catch and release is the norm in England on carp ... P.S. I got a carp hot spot in my home town (20 acre public pond) loaded with 10 to 20 KG (20 to 40 lb) carp who to just love to eat floating honey wheat bread balls (great bait but kinda hard to keep on the hook) --I could sure use some of those british carp bait boilies --can't find them locally -- I do catch and release fishing on the carp..BTW-- catch them just for "fun"..... catfish is a different matter ,, yumm yumm

and sheepshead taste wonderful ...and walleye is some of the best fish in the world in my view ..and I have travelled all over the globe -- burrimundi ? in aussie land was great too

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
carp are eaten here in the USA by folks who know how to properly clean them ( avoid the mud vein , and you will get huge chunks of tasty white meat which is good fried) ... in England carp fishing is a lot like Trophy Bass fishing is here in America , generally most folks would not DARE TO KILL AND EAT A 8 LB TROPHY BASS in America and tell any real bass fisherman they did so..the same goes for carp in Britain ..kill and eat a trophy carp ? oh the horror ...catch and release is the norm in England on carp ... P.S. I got a carp hot spot in my home town (20 acre public pond) loaded with 10 to 20 KG (20 to 40 lb) carp who to just love to eat floating honey wheat bread balls (great bait but kinda hard to keep on the hook) --I could sure use some of those british carp bait boilies --can't find them locally -- I do catch and release fishing on the carp..BTW-- catch them just for "fun"..... catfish is a different matter ,, yumm yumm

and sheepshead taste wonderful ...and walleye is some of the best fish in the world in my view ..and I have travelled all over the globe -- burrimundi ? in aussie land was great too
It might be better just to make your own boilies Ivan, not really that hard to do, I can supply you the ingredients if you want.

It's true carp are trophy fish over here, anglers can spend years in the pursuit of just one particular fish, these fish become very wary with the angling pressure they recieve which makes them a harder challenge.

SS

Attachments

• IMG_2310.JPG
    IMG_2310.JPG
    686.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tam it's huge over here, specimen carp fisherman have a average of £5,000 of tackle just for carp, and you can pay anything up to £1500 a year for a decent syndicate. A young good strain carp of 20lb is worth well over a grand, perhaps two, a 30lb would set a fishery owner back £5000.

SS
You don't say. Maybe I should start fish farming.??

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
psst --the pond I speak of has a rental cabins that will sleep 4 --right on the lake site and its has a shower and fridge plus a cooking hot plate --its air conditioned --cost is only about 40 USD per day -- florida state non resident freshwater fishing permit (required) is only $17 USD for 3 days or $30 USD for 7 days ....so a noon friday to say noon monday weekend -- 3 day stay for 4 would be ($120 USD) and with all getting 3 day fishing permits( fri , sat, sun ) $68 ... so a 3 day fishing package would be only $188 USD--for the room /board and permits ..the lake has lots of pan fish and catfish ( I have caught channel cats up to 20 lbs here ) as well as largemouth bass up to 8 lbs as well --the carp that are stocked are sterile triploid grass carp to keep the grass in check so they must be released upon catching them (they are huge-- several 20/40 lb size ones) the fishing hours are sun up to sundown daily -- its called Bethesda pond --in Jacksonville, Florida

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread