This is whats keeping me away from detecting...

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_2380.JPG
    IMG_2380.JPG
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2382.JPG
    IMG_2382.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever try smoking them like salmon or trout ?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one big Goldfish. :thumbsup:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats!
While long practiced here, usually quietly under the radar by devotees... Thill and others seemed to give carp fishing a boost.
Fisher folk from across the pond lent tips and technique's of greater finesse, and more reverence as a sport fish too.
There are some great specimens about with some very large and healthy ones encountered on occasion in clear waters..

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never ate a carp. Was told it's not good, so I just can't say. I know some folks will. When I was a kid I'd fish a big irrigation canal with my cousin and I caught a big carp. I let go and this older black gentlemen who we'd see a lot of times fishing came over and told not to throw them back, because he'd give me a quarter for each one I caught. I said sure!, but I never caught him another one. We'd catch a bunch of bullheads and those were real good to eat imo. I saw this on TV once where they cook the outer part of the carp in hot oil just to the depth of his internal organs, so the carp survives and can be put on the table alive and breathing as you chow down on him.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never ate a carp. Was told it's not good, so I just can't say. I know some folks will. When I was a kid I'd fish a big irrigation canal with my cousin and I caught a big carp. I let go and this older black gentlemen who we'd see a lot of times fishing came over and told not to throw them back, because he'd give me a quarter for each one I caught. I said sure!, but I never caught him another one. We'd catch a bunch of bullheads and those were real good to eat imo. I saw this on TV once where they cook the outer part of the carp in hot oil just to the depth of his internal organs, so the carp survives and can be put on the table alive and breathing as you chow down on him.

Cold springtime water firms the meat,mushy fish.....yuck!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carp are treated like gods in the UK, they are worth huge amounts of money. Taking one for the pot would get you strung up from the nearest tree.:laughing7: It's really big buisness here, carp anglers from the uk travel all over the world to fish for them, monet doesn't seem to be a problem.

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever try smoking them like salmon or trout ?
Carp fishing in England is purely for the chase, and people pay a lot of money to fish for them on private syndicates. Plenty of other tasty fish to eat, can't imagine a crap tastes very good, and I won't be trying one anytime soon.:laughing7:

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!
While long practiced here, usually quietly under the radar by devotees... Thill and others seemed to give carp fishing a boost.
Fisher folk from across the pond lent tips and technique's of greater finesse, and more reverence as a sport fish too.
There are some great specimens about with some very large and healthy ones encountered on occasion in clear waters..
Sounds like a good opportunity for somebody to organise fishing trips out there.

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't bare to watch the link Tam.:sadsmiley: That's just cruel, I'm not into the sushi thing either.

SS

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carp are a lot of fun to catch. There were people in Oklahoma who would go fly fishing for them and had a great time. We always fished for food and considered carp trash fish and tried not to catch them. I ate some one time. They pressure cooked it. Kinda cottony and not a lot of flavor, but at least the pressure cooking softened up the bones so you didn't have to worry about them.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
40 years ago when I was a kid we were advised to throw them up on shore at the local fishin' hole. Apparently they were overcrowding the stocked trout. There was bass in the lake as well.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carp and buffalo are the reason you're prohibited from using minnows not seined from some lakes you're fishing in in Oklahoma. They do seem to take over a lake and crowd out other species once they get established. And never dump your store bought leftover live minnows into the lake after you're done fishin.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a good opportunity for somebody to organise fishing trips out there.

SS

In my youth a neighbor would host boys from England a week or two during the summers.
I would put them on fish!

Those healthy(confirmation / proportion) carp in clean water I keep quiet about as far as their location.
Should a chap visiting from over seas want to pursue them I might take him.

Years ago in the spring a visitor was in a tackle isle of a store listing to the banter of local fishermen.
When he spoke it was with tears in his eyes saying we did not realize how good we have it here.

Those youths in my youth had made it pretty clear though.
They must have thought we were near criminals catching such numbers and variety, but also for killing fish,though they did help dispose of the evidence after cooking.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never tried sushi either. I just don't eat much fish, but I do like catfish, trout, salmon and fish sticks.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beauty fish! I'm about to start my winter fishing season at the old trout pond.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen people drain private lakes to kill them off. Around here, people like to fish for cats and bass, not carp. When I was in highschool, I worked at a pizza restaurant. Used to to take the left over dough and use it to fish for carp at the public pond. Lots of fun because they fight hard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread