This is whats keeping me away from detecting...

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pray tell how to make boilies ...
..4oz Semolina
4oz Soya Flour
4oz Cornmeal
2oz Milk Powder
2oz Strawberry Milkshake Powder
2 Large Eggs
2tsp Nijer Seed
2tsp Corn Grit
25ml Strawberry Milkshake Syrup
25ml Supermarket Red Food Colouring
Need and Roll the mix into small balls about 14-16mm, boil for about a minute and leave to dry. You could also glug/soak the finished boilie in any flavouring, like honey malasis treacle or what ever you fancy.

SS

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The native carp in north america is anything but. It was imported as a sport fish. As for eating I have friends that are originally from Cambodia and they are the fish cooking masters of the universe. They target sheephead. Which are generally considered trash fish and work their magic on the grill.

The Vietnamese that lived with us and others from nearby would get together and grill carp whole. Peel off skin , then add flesh to a green wrapping of choice and dip in a variety of sauces.
We had one who went fishing with us carry home his coat full of sheepshead one winter day.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what you call "roach" .... we would we call " panfish / bluegills " 6 to 8 inch freshwater fish --great for eating ..now what store bought brands and flavors of boilies would you say are better --seen tiger nut , red crab , honey vanilla ,and many others as well as several companys --- cc moore , ect ,ect as well as "fake" bread as well

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the nijer seed --thistle seed ? nyjer as in like finch bird food .. and corn grit as in like chicken feed (broken corn bits) or like finer course ground corn ( grits as we American would call it )

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you call "roach" .... we would we call " panfish / bluegills " 6 to 8 inch freshwater fish --great for eating ..now what store bought brands and flavors of boilies would you say are better --seen tiger nut , red crab , honey vanilla ,and many others as well as several companys --- cc moore , ect ,ect as well as "fake" bread as well
All things you mentioned work, fake corn works very well as does bread. Currently I'm using CC Moores live system boilies at 10mm. Fish flavoured boilies are very good during warmer weather, I tend to stay away from them during winter months and go for a Milk protein boileis.

I'm not sure if you have roach over there, but they are a very boney fish and don't grow that big, the UK record is 4lb 3oz..

SS

Attachments

• RoachRuddDaceFlies_CatchPic.jpg
    RoachRuddDaceFlies_CatchPic.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
no we do not have roach but we do have our "version" -- a bluegill -- smallish tasty little sunfish --normally say 6 to 8 inches in size .. world records like 5 lbs I think .. a trophy one would be anything over 12 inches or a pound in size here locally

got the fixings to make a batch of strawberry / vanilla boilies plan to make me some in a bit -- 1 cup of cornmeal , 2 cups of all purpose flour , 4 eggs , 1 large packet of strawberry jello , 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract --- mix in large bowl -- make into large marble shapes , boil for about 1 1/2 min

seen a photo of a british "roach" fish looks like a big minnow , whereas a carp looks like a giant minnow ..

Last edited:

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And old friend of mine taught me the best way to cook one of them is to fillet it out and put it on a salt covered piece of cardboard then Salt the fillets let it sit in the fridge covered for one week, then eat the cardboard.
Kyle- ( I haven't tried it yet) ��

Last edited:

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fish for carp,suckers and catfish a few cats a year and at least 100 suckers/carp a year. Like this image.jpeg

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
It's true carp are trophy fish over here, anglers can spend years in the pursuit of just one particular fish, these fish become very wary with the angling pressure they recieve which makes them a harder challenge.
Interesting. They are very prevalent in the state of Alabama, where I grew up. They are considered a trash fish. We used to catch them and then walk down the bank asking people if they wanted them until we found someone who did eat them. This was around spillways during the seasonal flooding of fields.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if you know how to clean them properly their good eating ..its mostly black and Asian folks here in America eat them in the south but in the northern states (like ohio) there are folks that come from old line European stock that know how to clean and cook them --often the so called "social clubs"--like say the Shamrock Club or the Polish Club in Dayton , Ohio use em for their "fish fry nights"

Last edited:

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All things you mentioned work, fake corn works very well as does bread. Currently I'm using CC Moores live system boilies at 10mm. Fish flavoured boilies are very good during warmer weather, I tend to stay away from them during winter months and go for a Milk protein boileis.

I'm not sure if you have roach over there, but they are a very boney fish and don't grow that big, the UK record is 4lb 3oz..

SS

Looks like a golden shiner, used for bait in the winter for pike. We used to carp fish in the Charles. During the day the kids would feed the ducks and at night we would catch a ton of carp, all thrown back. Best catch was on 6 lb test, 18 pounder. Biggest fish was a 44 incher measured from nose to v in tail. Yes they are a lot of fun and a good fighter! We also used wonder bread and a #8 trout hook. Those where the days!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing can persuade me to not go detecting...

Ok... one thing. :P

2D2F099500000578-0-image-a-1_1444406458892.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blue gills are good eat'n. I'd catch tons of em in Minnesota.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a golden shiner, used for bait in the winter for pike. We used to carp fish in the Charles. During the day the kids would feed the ducks and at night we would catch a ton of carp, all thrown back. Best catch was on 6 lb test, 18 pounder. Biggest fish was a 44 incher measured from nose to v in tail. Yes they are a lot of fun and a good fighter! We also used wonder bread and a #8 trout hook. Those where the days!

We used Wonderbread too!
Holds together easy in doughballs when compressed sans crust. Wonder if sugar or salt factored though now.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread