Mystery Lily

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I know what it is and will provide some clues here, the photos were taken yesterday, and if the deer do not eat the flower head, I hope to get a nice shot when it is in full bloom.

Here is what is said about this Lily on a website, very interesting, it bascally needs forest fires to bloom regulary! I transplanted this Lily next to my pond about 8 years ago and this is only the second time it has produced a flower!

The ______________________ dense clusters of creamy, starlike flowers bloom from May to July.

Flowering on stalks two to three feet high, they are tough, elegant lilies. Their lovely flowers have a sweet nectar that attracts insects and hummingbirds.

The plant is sometimes called _____________, because in spring _________seek out and eat the roots and tender young leaves.

The leaves are thin (grass-like), elongated and up to two feet long. They form a tussock at the base of the plant.

The genus name, xerophyllum, is from the Greek words xeros ("dry") and phyllon ("leaf") and refers to the dry, wiry leaves that compose that tussock.

Flowers mature into fruit capsules with varying numbers of seeds.

The flower stalk dies after fruiting, but the tussock of leaves remains green throughout the winter.

Fire-control practices have helped make them hard to find in some areas. In the absence of a fire, relatively few ____________ plants produce flowers each year.

Don :)

The Naional Geographic reports that after a fire, however, they need only a year to recover before blooming.

NatureServe, a non-profit conservation organization, reports that they are ranked "vulnerable" in North Carolina and Tennessee. They are ranked as critically imperiled in South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and West Virginia. They are believed to have disappeared from Delaware and perhaps from Kentucky.

Native to North Carolina, they are also found

Attachments

• MysteryLily.jpg
    MysteryLily.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 335
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good CD, did you know or research it.:)

Don

SpecialFarces

May 7, 2007
Upstate New York - USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Very unusual plant - great photos. (Turkey beard) Cerebellum asphodels - say that tree times fast. Cerebellum asphodels, Cerebellum asphodels, Cerebellum asphodels! ??? ??? ???

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Beautiful photo...there is also what appears to be an Indian Bent Tree in the background.

Thanks for sharing your view of the beautiful world that has been created for us to enjoy.

By the River

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions