tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took these today as I went through South Park Colorado at around 5:30 pm. Pretty cold and windy out there. 1st pic is Pike's Peak maybe 70 miles away from where I was at and 2nd pic is east and west Buffalo Peaks. I've been on top of both of them and put a quarter with the year date I went up on the taller peak once. One time a big lighting storm came in from west side of the Arkansas valley, so I thought I better start heading down. I got caught in it at just below the timberline and it was hell, but I found a small rock overhang to tuck under and the lighting strikes were all around me. That was wicked...There's an old ghost town up in that valley below the peaks and I've never found any reference to what the name of that place or any map that shows it. My guess is it was a hunting outfitters camp from maybe the early part of the 20th century. All the structures were log cabins from what I remember. Buffalo peaks is a volcanic ash flow that was deposited in a valley a long-long-long time ago and the sides of the valley have all eroded away over the millions of years the valley last existed. A small amount of gold flecks can be found in Trout Creek and I'm not sure where the source would ever come from. I've always had the notion that below that volcanic tuff is an ancient river bed with gold, but the alluvium that eroded from the top of the Buffalo peaks has buried that river bed that once was very very deep. Maybe someone in the future will read this and head up there with a core rig and see if the possible river bed is under that mountain. If it were me, I'd start drilling on the east side around the timberline or just below.

Attachments

• south park 1.jpg
    south park 1.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 62
  • south park 2.jpg
    south park 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Windy in South park? Man, I remember fishing the dream stream up there during the winters. I think the wind finally knocked some sense into me and I quit winter flyfishing. Beautiful pics you took, I love it up there.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the terryall creek road. It seems pretty nice & quiet in that aera every time I take that drive. I've never tried fishing it though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions