tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent last night in Tao's NM and drove by the old Pueblos which are one of the oldest continuously occupied places in the US. I then headed out west on hwy 64 for a stop north of a place call Tres Padres. You cross over the Rio Grande gorge on 64 and there's this community between Tres Padres and the gorge call Earthship Biotecture. They pretty much build homes out of mud, cans, bottles and salvaged junk it seems?. Some are pretty wild looking. Going through Chama NM you see the steam locomotives parked for the winter. It pretty cool when you see them chugging out in the mountains in the summer. I think maybe I'll try and get my wife down that way this next summer for a train ride on it? I like the smell of the soot and sounds these old steam engines produce.

Attachments

• taos 1.jpg
    taos 1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
  • taos 2.jpg
    taos 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 79
  • taos 3.jpg
    taos 3.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 72
  • taos 4.jpg
    taos 4.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 76
  • taos 5.jpg
    taos 5.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 70
  • taos 6.jpg
    taos 6.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
  • taos 7.jpg
    taos 7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • taos 8.jpg
    taos 8.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alternative Construction methods can produce some interesting looking homes. One of my favorite types is " cordwood construction ".
Looks like a nice trip. I like seeing the different terrains we have in the US.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alternative Construction methods can produce some interesting looking homes. One of my favorite types is " cordwood construction ".
Looks like a nice trip. I like seeing the different terrains we have in the US.
I like those cordwood constructed homes also. Back in the later 70's and early 80's I'd buy those Mother Earth news magazines. They'd have a lot of interesting articles on building crazy homes like these. I should have bought all those cheap lots out in South Park Colorado when you could get like five acres for I think $2000. to $2500. That be a good place to start a community like this one. This region is a great place for passive solar construction as the sun shines a lot on many days and the star at night here is just spectacular to witness... This area of Tao's is a real new age thinking bunch. In recent years to the north across the border in Colorado the Amish have been moving in and driving their horse and buggies around. South central Colorado and North New Mexico is a very laid back place for sure. Whats unique is the settling of Europeans is the oldest in the US, but the growth has been almost nothing compared to the east in all centuries European folks have settled this area. There's got to be some long lost buried treasure in this area someplace?. I've read stories that during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, which was an uprising of most of the Indian people against the Spanish colonizers in the province of Santa Fe and present day New Mexico the church missionaries had to stash the holy silver of the mission churches and get the hell out of the area. Some even believe the Forest Fenn treasure has been placed in this area someplace. Here's a few more pic's of these earth homes. I think it be cool to build something like this someday.

Attachments

• earth home 1.jpg
    earth home 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
  • earth home 2.jpg
    earth home 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • earth home 3.jpg
    earth home 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • earth home 4.jpg
    earth home 4.jpg