tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a break from work this afternoon and headed to where two creeks come together. I thought I get lucky and spot some Bald Eagles. There was a young lady with some binoculars out on the trail hoping to see them also and she said she herd the Kingfisher yak'n along in the trees further down the trail, so I headed that way to see if I could get lucky and capture a shot of that little character who frequents this creek. I didn't see or hear him and saw no Bald Eagles either. I only saw a few cold little bunny's and a lot of what winter looks like. A little hike in weather like this, sure makes a hot cup of coffee taste exceptionally good when you get home and I should have put a hot thermos bottle of coffee in the truck, because that would be even better.

Attachments

• front range winter 1.jpg
    front range winter 1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 81
  • front range winter 2.jpg
    front range winter 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • front range winter 3.jpg
    front range winter 3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
  • front range winter 4.jpg
    front range winter 4.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 81
  • front range winter 6.jpg
    front range winter 6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Those are some nice winter photo's!.....The kingfisher you mentioned is one bird I have never got a good shot of. They play the same game as the Kestral's. Let's see how far he'll follow me while I stay just out of reach of his lens.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Kingfishers migrated south, sure would hate to one with it's beak stuck in the ice?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Kingfishers migrated south, sure would hate to one with it's beak stuck in the ice?
I did too. I didn't see it, but that lady out there said she herd it. It makes a lot of noise, so I could only assume she knew what she herd. Many birds such as geese stay around here all winter and it seems more of those would go further south years ago. Things are changing it seems over the last 30 plus years. It was 39 years ago I lived at 10 thousand feet and you'd never see a raccoon at that elevation and now I see them dead on the road all the time in the higher elevations. You could be right on the Kingfisher and that lady thought she herd it. I did hear magpie's so maybe she was hearing those.? One thing I would have really like to be doing out here this day would be hunting for artifacts, but as you can see everything is all covered up. I took this picture of the one area I've been able to find two blades, one mano, three tan jasper flakes and that one item you've identified as a possible artifact called an abrader. So far all the other bluffs in and around have yielded nothing, but this low hill over looking where the two creeks come together I'm thinking was a camp site that's been used for centuries. I'll be up there looking again when all this white stuff is gone and the ground is once again dry. I went once after some snow melted and it was pretty dang difficult to hunt with all the mud caked to my shoes. I guess I could wear my mine boots if I do that again? Dang it's 2:58 AM and I can't sleep. Some vehicle was driving up and down the street and that got the dog to growling and me up now.

Attachments

• front range winter 7 a.jpg
    front range winter 7 a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those Kingfishers have that same flitting flight as a woodpecker. You can get close enough for a pic here if you're floating down the river making no noise sometimes. I have came upon fox and deer that way too.
There is something about water and snow together...they go together like sand and bikinis, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions