Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! I'm hungry

I went artifact hunting yesterday and watched this Coyote go from prairie dog hole to prairie dog hole hoping to find a little something to eat. I'm starting to see a little treasure on the hill out of these guys now... They're everywhere.

Fur Classification Average Price

Western Coyote – Heavy $88.12
Western Coyote – Semi Heavy $42.92
Eastern Coyote $22.82

Attachments

• mano hill coyote.jpg
    mano hill coyote.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the past few years, it seems our red fox population has really increased. I see coyotes every now and again, but as you know, that may be because of their shyness more than a lack of them.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are always hungry for a chance to eat something.
The fur should start to shed around now, but the fur would have been in prime condition back in December.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past few years, it seems our red fox population has really increased. I see coyotes every now and again, but as you know, that may be because of their shyness more than a lack of them.
Around here they're less fox and more of these guys in recent years. I've come across what's left of a dead Fox after these guys get ahold of them. I've seen 3 Coyotes chasing a Fox through the neighborhood one night. I'm always seeing signs on telephone poles around asking if anyone's seen their lost kitty. We're just getting too many these guys around here now.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are always hungry for a chance to eat something.
The fur should start to shed around now, but the fur would have been in prime condition back in December.
Yeah you can tell on this one it's fur isn't as full as it could be... Trappings is legal in Colorado now, so there's nothing to control the numbers of them and it seems they're not having much of an impact on the rabbit population either, seems I'm seeing more and more of them every year now too. It's funny I don't see the Coyotes as much around in December.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Coyotes appeared in the Charlotte area a few years back. The stray cats must have all moved to another town... cause there are not any more of them around... huh...

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes appeared in the Charlotte area a few years back. The stray cats must have all moved to another town... cause there are not any more of them around... huh...
I'll take a picture of what happens to the cats that wonder in out in the field around here. I found a hafe a cat once in the field with a collor and tag. It was from the neighborhood. It had a tag with the owners phone number and it's name was Micky. I had sad news for a lady that day. My cats very aware of them. He doesn't wonder out there in the field.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you can tell on this one it's fur isn't as full as it could be... Trappings is legal in Colorado now, so there's nothing to control the numbers of them and it seems they're not having much of an impact on the rabbit population either, seems I'm seeing more and more of them every year now too. It's funny I don't see the Coyotes as much around in December.

Legal or illegal to trap in Colorado?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legal or illegal to trap in Colorado?
I know 5 or 6 years ago we voted on the issue of fur trapping and it then became illegal to fur trap, but I think there a nuisance clause in all that. That meaning you can only trap an animal if it is causing property damage. No law against shooting these varmints as long as the area is permissible. I keep thinking if I get one of these and go out before the suns up I could get away with grabbing some prime pelts. I'd have to stash and hide everything in a gully that's undeveloped and pretty much in the cover of darkness though. That's the area most of these coyote hang out in around.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last I knew you could legally box trap bobcats, coyotes, foxes, skunks, coons, and badgers in Colorado. Padded leg hold traps were also allowed. That may not be up to date as there's been a lot of challenges to that amendment. If the wolves ever come back that will do a lot to reduce the coyote population.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Around here they're less fox and more of these guys in recent years. I've come across what's left of a dead Fox after these guys get ahold of them. I've seen 3 Coyotes chasing a Fox through the neighborhood one night. I'm always seeing signs on telephone poles around asking if anyone's seen their lost kitty. We're just getting too many these guys around here now.

A few years ago, I drove up to a spot I enjoy going to on occasion and could hear beagles off in the distance. On the way back, I met a hunter following a couple of the dogs up the road. I pulled over and stopped to allow them to pass in case a dog darted in front of me. We waved a hello to each other and off I went. About 30 yards later I spotted a second Hunter and looked in my rear view to check the location of the first and happened to see a fox dart across the road between the 2 hunters as if he knew they couldn't fire because of the fear of hitting each other. The saying " crazy as a fox " sure came to my mind in that moment lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread