Rainy Day Pheasant

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Went out and tried to get some firewood today. Only got half of a pickup load. Started to rain too hard, and I was soaked, so gave up. Spotted this bird trying to stay dry under a tree along side the road on the way home. He stayed long enough for me to get one shot.

Attachments

• 00101_edited-1.jpg
    00101_edited-1.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 66

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a stocked one? I have 3 quests this year as far as pics...a good eagle shot, bear and pheasant pics.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Is that a stocked one? I have 3 quests this year as far as pics...a good eagle shot, bear and pheasant pics.
I don't know about it being stocked, but I don't think it is. They are really wild, and I was surprised it stayed long enough for me to get a shot. Usually when a car stops they freak out, and run for the brush, or fly away.
There were lots of them in this area when I moved away in 2000. Seem like a lot still here. I do know they are not native to North America. I think they came from China.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was probably making sure you weren't a hen, getting to be that time of the year.

I have been looking after 800 since November for a shooting preserve, down to 93, you should see them early in the morning, when I hit the lights.

They square off for sex and fighting, more intense every week.

Nice pic.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice pic,that is a pretty bird.I wish we had them around here.Don't hardly see any quale around here anymore

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about it being stocked, but I don't think it is. They are really wild, and I was surprised it stayed long enough for me to get a shot. Usually when a car stops they freak out, and run for the brush, or fly away.
There were lots of them in this area when I moved away in 2000. Seem like a lot still here. I do know they are not native to North America. I think they came from China.

If it was really wild, it either isn't stocked or it is a survivor from last year's stocking probably. Stocked birds are really naive. They associate us with food and aren't as skittish. They will stand around until a predator catches them lol.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to see them around here in the field, but not in at least 10-12 years now. See them now in northern Wyoming and Montana.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Blowing up the picture (beautiful shot by the way) it looks like a wild one to me, planters usually have bored out nostril holes in the beak from the blinders that get put on them.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was really wild, it either isn't stocked or it is a survivor from last year's stocking probably. Stocked birds are really naive. They associate us with food and aren't as skittish. They will stand around until a predator catches them lol.

All i know is they are...YUMMY good!:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread