Proud bull elk...

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
This photo was taken on Sept.2, and this bull's antlers are full grown. He has rubbed the velvet off and he will start bugling soon if he hasn't started already. Yeah,he'll be picking fights with the other bulls over breeding rights! I've sneaked up to within 25 yards of fighting bulls and it's pretty exciting.....and SCARY! Wish I'd had a camera then! Will try to get photos of a fight this fall.

Attachments

• Ft.Simmons 6.JPG
    Ft.Simmons 6.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 310

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic's of wildlife, I got to travel to your
beautiful state years ago, (Chelan lake area), I saw
mountain goats, & mountain lion brought out on top
of vehicles, (hunting season), got to see the fish in
the Columbian river, (fish ladders & windows), had to
stop at night for all the deer crossing the hwy going
to feast in the apple orchards, (this area is known for
the large red apples).

Fossis................

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And Tasty Too......Great Pic's

T

TreasureTales

OK, maybe you've posted this info elsewhere already, but I gotta know about your trail cams. Did you get them from Cabela's? I've seen some advertised in their catalogs. Please give manufacturer, model, mounting heights, in fact all the details. I'd really like to try this myself and leave the cameras for a month at a time - if possible. Thanks.

OP
OP
junkdigger

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
I bought my trail cameras from cabelas. Cuddeback Expert,$400 (ouch!).You really need to call Cuddeback to order a "bear box" too.It's $30,protects the camera from bears and thieves.But it also makes the camera easier to mount securely to the tree. And you need 1/4" lag bolts from 1 1/2" to 3" long and a 7/16" nut driver to screw them in.And two CF camera cards,256kbyte are plenty for trail cams.Two cards so you can reload the camera and bring the photos home with you.It takes four D cells to power the camera,good ones like Duracells,and they might last a month.I change my batteries every two to three weeks to be sure.The cameras are not really waterproof,so I pit a "tent" of closed cell foam over the box and tie it on with a cord.It sheds rain and snow.Mount the camera two or so feet above the ground,aiming it to where critters might pass.Make sure the camera is level,not pointed at the sky.Clear the area in front of the camera of grass and sticks that will reflect the flash and ruin your photos! I carry my cameras and stuff in a shoulder bag,and take extra batteries too.Hope this helps you to enjoy your trail cameras!

OP
OP
junkdigger

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
I saw the bear box in cabelas catalog today,$35,but easier to order both at once. A fellow at work today says he is getting one.He picks up shed antlers as a hobby,and wants photos of the deer before they drop them. Good idea!

T

TreasureTales

junkdigger, thanks so much for the info. Trail cameras would be such fun to set up and see what passes by. I have several places in mind but will have to count my bark box coins to see if I can afford all the gear necessary. You are truly getting some wonderful shots with your cameras. I would love to see all 4 seasons from the lenses of your cameras.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread