old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool! Now that is what I call good timing.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had great horned owls for a couple years hanging around, but seems they all moved elsewhere. Every now and then, I'll hear them in the late night or early morning, but they no longer rest in the cottonwoods during the day like they did.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pics, as usual, Ron. I've had a pair of Great Horned nesting in a pine tree next to the house. Second year they've raised a brood here. Two chicks this year. Should be leaving the nest soon. My Swainson hawks moved on....sadly. Really miss that male "talking" to me.
Jim

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful bird. Very majestic looking. And you always take great pics too. I'm getting an education looking at them...

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Many Thanks Guy's, I was lucky to see him at all. I was driving on an old road up in the high country. The snow is melting fast, but I came to a place where there was a patch of snow about 18" deep. I could see gravel on the other side, but not what was over the little hill beyond. Figured I'd better stop and walk ahead before plowing through it. If it was too bad, I planned to turn around. When I got out the owl flew up from the ground where he had apparently just captured his meal, and flew across the road into the tree's. I went back to the pickup and got the camera, then located him again.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome series of pics! Looks like they have as much brown as gray in their coloring. I have seen very few owls in my life. Thanks for sharing those pictures with us. I enjoy seeing wildlife:thumbsup:

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Awesome series of pics! Looks like they have as much brown as gray in their coloring. I have seen very few owls in my life. Thanks for sharing those pictures with us. I enjoy seeing wildlife:thumbsup:
I questioned the last one of these too. Wasn't sure what kind of owl it was because of the brown colors. I submitted the pics to someone who knows, and he said it was indeed a Great Gray Owl. The brown is caused by worn feathers, and next time it moults, it will be all gray again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread