kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We get a pair of Grosbeaks now and then, but they never seem to stick around for very long. I think the Bluejays chase them away - like they chase every other living thing away, EXCEPT for the dad burn Barn Swallows!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome pics. I had a blue grosbeak a couple years ago. Such a beautiful bird!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet those beaks are tough as nails! Their color reminds me of an oriole. Great depth of field. Are you using Aperture Priority?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ours are the Pine Grosbeaks. One time we had 3 females and 1 male here. There were probably more, but the Grosbeaks don't usually like to be caught in the open around these parts.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I bet those beaks are tough as nails! Their color reminds me of an oriole. Great depth of field. Are you using Aperture Priority?
Thanks OD.....No, I use manual mode. These were at F6.3.......I like to have shutter speed of 1/1000 or faster with the 400mm lens to avoid camera shake, and in order to do that it requires a shallow depth of field, or high ISO, or both depending on lighting conditions. I like to use the lowest ISO I can get away with to keep noise levels down, which also means the aperture is almost wide open........Having said all that, the Owl pictures I got the other day were at f6.3 and ISO 3200. The Canon 5D III I use works real well with low noise at High ISO's which is one reason I got this camera. With my old Canon rebel I wouldn't have even tried in those low light conditions. Anything over ISO400 had very noisy (grainy) images.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Ours are the Pine Grosbeaks. One time we had 3 females and 1 male here. There were probably more, but the Grosbeaks don't usually like to be caught in the open around these parts.
Yeah, I had a pair of these Black-headed ones that would use my suet feeders in Oregon, and they were real skittish. It surprised me these weren't as afraid, but I still had a hard time getting close enough for pics.......We also had evening grosbeaks in Oregon that would travel in big flocks, and they were pretty tame. They would come in and empty all the feeders in a short time.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty Birdie! In the years that I have lived here I have seen maybe four, and two of them I found dead.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome bird and one more that we don't have here in Paradise or Hell, depending on how you look at it...

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never seen one of those before. Your pictures are beautiful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread