tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the last day of being in California Lisa and I took a walk around Balboa Park as it was our last day there and we didn't need to be at the airport til 6:30 pm. Lisa has a fitbit device that keeps track of her walking and by the time we got home to Denver she said her fitbit logged tens of thousands of steps that would cover a total of 33 miles of foot on the 3 day trip to San Diego.

Attachments

• sd trip balboa 1.jpg
    sd trip balboa 1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • sd trip balboa 2.jpg
    sd trip balboa 2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 47
  • sd trip balboa 3.jpg
    sd trip balboa 3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • sd trip balboa 4.jpg
    sd trip balboa 4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • sd trip balboa 5.jpg
    sd trip balboa 5.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
  • sd trip balboa 6.jpg
    sd trip balboa 6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
San Diego county is my home area I sure miss it thanks for the pictures.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
San Diego county is my home area I sure miss it thanks for the pictures.
Mama plans all the trips as it's better for the both of us and I was a bit reserved about going, but never being in the SD area of Cali. before I went along and was very surprised at what I saw of a major California city. I lived in Sac and the Bay area before and been to LA, SF, Oakland, Stockton and found SD is the best out of all imo. She's been several times and I've declined to go, but she hit the mark this time. I'm the kind who likes to be far and away from it all and she's not. I want to go to Newfoundland, but it's cold and she doesn't think that's worth the trip, so I guess I go alone when and if I do ever go.

Attachments

• newfoundland_canada_summer_nature_ss.jpg
    newfoundland_canada_summer_nature_ss.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 42

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I came here (to San Diego) with the Navy 43 years ago, and still haven't left. If you know where to look, there is a lot of "far and away from it all" right here in SD county. And we have the best weather in the nation most days of the year. Glad you enjoyed the area.

JB

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been my experience that every area of the world ( that I have seen anyway ) has beautiful scenes if we just look at it in the right way. Sometimes on my hikes, I stop and turn around to see what the trail I just came down looks like from a different perspective. It is amazing what we see if we look. Thanks for those pics. I really enjoy them!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I came here (to San Diego) with the Navy 43 years ago, and still haven't left. If you know where to look, there is a lot of "far and away from it all" right here in SD county. And we have the best weather in the nation most days of the year. Glad you enjoyed the area.

JB
Was born at Pendleton 20 years before you got there! Grew up on El Toro, was stationed at both in later years.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JB
I told my wife the weather must be reason why everyone is so cool and relaxed. The senior citizens around seam as up beat as a 6 year old child. Definitely a place I'd like to visit and see more of. I hadn't been down to sea level in ages and I felt like I could hike a 100 miles with ease with all the oxygen down there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been my experience that every area of the world ( that I have seen anyway ) has beautiful scenes if we just look at it in the right way. Sometimes on my hikes, I stop and turn around to see what the trail I just came down looks like from a different perspective. It is amazing what we see if we look. Thanks for those pics. I really enjoy them!
So true and I am able to find it here in all the madness of the rocky mountain front range, as we do support open space around here. Did you notice I got me a picture of a blue heron? I took one more step to get a few more shots, but he said one is enough and off he went. My camera battery gave out at this park, so all I had was my cellphone after that, but it's a great place for taking pictures with what ever you have on hand. It's a very colorful place and also great place of light and shadow for doing B&W's also. These are a couple from the phone cam.

Attachments

• sd trip balboa 7 phone.jpg
    sd trip balboa 7 phone.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • sd trip balboa 8 phone.jpg
    sd trip balboa 8 phone.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was born at Pendleton 20 years before you got there! Grew up on El Toro, was stationed at both in later years.

My wife was born at Pendelton 20 years before I got there. Her dad was stationed there several times over the years, but he also was at 29 Palms and Hawaii (Kaneohe Bay). They never got to El Toro.....

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told my wife the weather must be reason why everyone is so cool and relaxed. The senior citizens around seam as up beat as a 6 year old child. Definitely a place I'd like to visit and see more of. I hadn't been down to sea level in ages and I felt like I could hike a 100 miles with ease with all the oxygen down there.

Well, I definitely am a lot more beat up than a 6 year old. If you ever get tired of the sea level air, there are several peaks in the 10,000 foot range within about 100 miles or so. In my younger days, I used to go up them quite a lot, but I've slowed down a lot in the last 10 years....

JB

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife was born at Pendelton 20 years before I got there. Her dad was stationed there several times over the years, but he also was at 29 Palms and Hawaii (Kaneohe Bay). They never got to El Toro.....

JB
Wow cool!!!!! small world isn't it? I can still remember driving through what seemed like endless orange groves as a kid to go shopping at the commissary at El Toro & LTA. Never would've thought years later I'd be stationed there let alone a Marine.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true and I am able to find it here in all the madness of the rocky mountain front range, as we do support open space around here. Did you notice I got me a picture of a blue heron? I took one more step to get a few more shots, but he said one is enough and off he went. My camera battery gave out at this park, so all I had was my cellphone after that, but it's a great place for taking pictures with what ever you have on hand. It's a very colorful place and also great place of light and shadow for doing B&W's also. These are a couple from the phone cam.

I live about 250 feet above a lake here in North San Diego County. We have a Blue Heron that comes up and stalks gophers on our property in the spring. Quite a sight!

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow cool!!!!! small world isn't it? I can still remember driving through what seemed like endless orange groves as a kid to go shopping at the commissary at El Toro & LTA. Never would've thought years later I'd be stationed there let alone a Marine.

It certainly is. As you probably know, most of those orange groves are gone now. I pretty much stay away from that area now.

JB

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've got pictures somewhere I took off Culver & I5 when they were ripping the orange tree stumps out. I wanted to do something showing the difference from the 60s compared to the 90s. Just got to get out the slide scanner. Also need to scan some slides of Dana Point when the harbor wasn't there & it's construction. So many projects so little time....... And yes I can whine it's National Whine day! Wait! huh? What? Oh not that kind of whine!?!? Oh well....... Carry on.

If you get the bug, take a trip up North to the Santa Ana River! You'd be amazed at the wild life!! Egrets, Heron, skunks, possums, coyotes etc. By the golf course the eucalyptus trees are full of owls. The cool thing is they're pretty well acclimated to people because of the bike trail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread