Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know for sure, but I always assumed vultures do that to dry the dew from their feathers that collected while they roosted overnight. Great pics ( when aren't they from you? ) as always!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen the vultures in this area do the same thing....at least, the vultures with feathers!! Seems to me like they do it facing into the breeze; maybe concentrating the characteristic odors of rotting flesh.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I don't know for sure, but I always assumed vultures do that to dry the dew from their feathers that collected while they roosted overnight. Great pics ( when aren't they from you? ) as always!
Probably right. It hasn't rained for a day or so. Never thought about dew......This was early this morning.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures. Those red wing black birds will sometimes harass people.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
They say birds evolved from dinosaurs. That red winged blackbird maust have been a T Rex in another life. Great shots...

Last edited:

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic pics! We have black vultures in our area and this spring we had a young one find his way into our tack room in the barn. He was actually really cute with a little leftover down on his head and very beautiful eyes. I know most people don't like them, but they are good birds. :)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They do help clean the roadways of speed bumps:tongue3:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pictures..

[The turkey vulture is a gentle and non aggressive bird that is often seen standing with its wings spread in a “horaltic pose” usually drying its wings, warming its body or baking off bacteria.
Like storks, the turkey vulture defecates on its own legs using evaporation of the water in the feces and urine to cool itself down. They excrete a high concentration of uric acid that acts as a sanitizer that kills any bacterial it picks up while getting its food. It is very tolerant of certain synthetic poisons that have been used to kill coyotes and ground squirrels.]

Turkey Vulture Information, Facts About Turkey Vultures

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Great pictures..

[The turkey vulture is a gentle and non aggressive bird that is often seen standing with its wings spread in a “horaltic pose” usually drying its wings, warming its body or baking off bacteria.
Like storks, the turkey vulture defecates on its own legs using evaporation of the water in the feces and urine to cool itself down. They excrete a high concentration of uric acid that acts as a sanitizer that kills any bacterial it picks up while getting its food. It is very tolerant of certain synthetic poisons that have been used to kill coyotes and ground squirrels.]

Turkey Vulture Information, Facts About Turkey Vultures
Thanks for the info!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vultures even though ugly scavengers can be pretty birds to look at. You have captured some great action shots Ron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread