Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
K1600_Watching in the Background.JPG Whenever I see old places like this, I can't help but stop and wander through the stones, looking at the names, dates and wondering how, when, why? What were their lives like? What was their personality? I always feel better after visiting old ones.

Attachments

• Flag.jpg
    Flag.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • K1600_Tombstones.JPG
    K1600_Tombstones.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Dapple in Shadow.JPG
    Dapple in Shadow.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Horse is the one standing and watching me in the background of the pic at the beginning. I thought it was so beautiful, I wanted to include it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same from time to time and will just walk around a cemetery and read the names, messages and dates. My favorite place to visit is last stand hill overlooking the Little Bighorn river. You just try and picture what all happened there in 1876 by how the headstones are placed. Defiantly a place that will remain shrouded in mystery for evermore. They're are horsed that roam around the entire battle grounds and they just seem like some kind of spirit of peace keepers to me when they look at you.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the monument in the foreground of picture #1.

Did you catch any dates on the older ones?

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The church is from 1841 ( at least I think that is what the sign said ). I have only just found it and didn't have as much time to spend as I wanted, but you can bet I will go back very soon. Will look for you.
I thought this stone was very nice and unique.

K1600_Willow Stone.JPG

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do the same from time to time and will just walk around a cemetery and read the names, messages and dates. My favorite place to visit is last stand hill overlooking the Little Bighorn river. You just try and picture what all happened there in 1876 by how the headstones are placed. Defiantly a place that will remain shrouded in mystery for evermore. They're are horsed that roam around the entire battle grounds and they just seem like some kind of spirit of peace keepers to me when they look at you.

I bet native Americans could tell us more about those horses.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dude great pics. I often walk old cemeteries reading headstones. I recently revisited a cemetery in the Low Country with my 18 yr old son. He was amazed at the craftsmanship on headstones and monuments that were 150-200+ years old. He told me after our visit that he always thought I was "weird" for walking old cemeteries but now he knows why

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hiya Alan! My better half told me when she and her brothers were little, on Sundays they'd all go for walks in the little villages outside Sheffield, England. I guess the cemeteries there are usually centered in the towns with a pub somewhere near. They would make rubbings with paper and pencil on the oldest stones while their parents had a quick pint:occasion14:. Of course their stones are much, much older than ours.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OD when I go back I'll send you some pics. One large cemetery even has a receiving tomb that was just shored up and they are trying to reinforce structure First time I've ever seen one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions