Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice shot! Some folks that own ponds call those Herons target practice - about all they're good for -

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And eat baby birds also.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with WT...God created nature to be as it is. We think it is a shame to see little animals die, but maybe they were sick or not strong. Who knows why it happens, but it does. That said, awesome pics sir! Those pesky blackbirds are very territorial.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was Mr. Blackbird, I would be careful of Mr. Heron's beak!

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bless it's heart! We have one who visits our pond and creeks each summer. I was walking back from having my morning coffee at the creek and must have disturbed it from fishing in the creek. They have a huge wing span!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Blue Herons are majestic looking birds, but they will decimate a small pond over a summer, eating every frog, baby bunny, and fish until there are no living things left. If a person had thousands of dollars invested in fish and pond management as I do, then have to watch those buggers gulp the fish down one by one you might not care to have them around. Short of containing the pond in a bubble, nothing works trying to keep those big yellow beaks out. I dislike them with a passion, wouldn't feel bad eliminating them with a bullet, but I won't do it, no point because the replacements will keep coming either way, non-stop, one by one, regardless.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Blue Herons are majestic looking birds, but they will decimate a small pond over a summer, eating every frog, baby bunny, and fish until there are no living things left. If a person had thousands of dollars invested in fish and pond management as I do, then have to watch those buggers gulp the fish down one by one you might not care to have them around. Short of containing the pond in a bubble, nothing works trying to keep those big yellow beaks out. I dislike them with a passion, wouldn't feel bad eliminating them with a bullet, but I won't do it, no point because the replacements will keep coming either way, non-stop, one by one, regardless.
Interesting, I've kind of looked at them as the T-Rex of the wetlands myself. Just about every available male and female red-wing was taking their shots at him. One male red wing even landed for a moment on the Herons back and it looked like he pulled a few feathers out of the monster. This little water hole goes through a temporary cycle and never supports any fish. First the runoff snow melts filling it up and you first hear the millions of frogs, then the ducks and other wetland birds hang around as the rains keep it slowly filled up, but by next month when the rains and natural spring quit, it drys up very quickly. I don't think your bullets will solve your Heron problem as they did on the wolves and grizzlies out here in the west. I'm pretty sure you just won't get enough folks to go along with that plan these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread