kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Taken last night at 9:30pm. The deer was about 80 yards away, and I had to bend down and shoot under a semi trailer (former reefer van). Was surprised - they normally don't allow me to do such actions without bolting. Is slightly out of focus, but then the camera kept wanting me to raise the flash. Yes, I'm sure the deer would've liked THAT!

2016.06.02 Whitetail Deer.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true with deer. I whistle low and high and that makes them stop a second and think the escape plan over a little first, like do I need to run or is that just one of the many harmless noises you just hear in the woods??. Whistle loud and their reflexes make their muscles tense up and they'll go into 1st step of panic mode looking all nervous and un-majestic, then say so long human, ain't got time for you. Still that's a great shot. Like who's that under that trailer.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
She seems to have her tarsal gland hairs flared out...I've not noticed that before despite watching lots of deer.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Tarsal gland - hmm...I learned something new today! :read2: Was wondering why those looked odd on this deer. thanks RC! :icon_thumright:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like when they aren't sure what you are and they start that bobbing and weaving deal with their head, trying to get you to move too.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tarsal gland - hmm...I learned something new today! :read2: Was wondering why those looked odd on this deer. thanks RC! :icon_thumright:

I learned something too. Guess I've been watching other actions instead..
[The skin underneath the tarsal tuft also has well-developed arrector pili muscles, which allow the deer to flare the tarsal gland to release a burst of scent.]
The Tarsal Gland, A Whitetail?s Signature | Learn About Whitetail Deer Scents & More Whitetail Research Articles | Tink's

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought BBQ sauce at the grocery today and was thinking about venison sausage. BUT those sorrowful eyes confirm what I already knew. I couldn't shoot that one. So I guess it's Bar S wieners again...

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought BBQ sauce at the grocery today and was thinking about venison sausage. BUT those sorrowful eyes confirm what I already knew. I couldn't shoot that one. So I guess it's Bar S wieners again...

Unless They Bring You Some Bambi Jerky Yummy Chug

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What may help in getting a deer to come in closer is to get yourself a ''fawn-in-distress'' call. This will usually help, but be prepared to get a quick picture. If you are somewhat hidden, that will better your chances at getting a good close photo.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I could also put out salt licks - especially the better-quality ones.

Too many mosquitoes to be out there waiting for the deer. Besides, I outgrew my patience long, long ago. >:( Now I'm just a grumpy, crotchety old codger! :wink:

Glad everyone liked the pic, plus the ones posted yesterday. Was a rare treat, as posting pics cuts into the data allowance. ...Don't think anyone would wanna hear about what NORMALLY happens around here! :angry5:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have some venison in the freezer from the wild, and i've raised whitetails for the last 15 years.

My Aunt is a big anti-hunter. I told her after watching a fawn being born, it made me think. (she was all ears).

All the deer I've shot over the years, it just made me wonder, (dramatic pause), just how delicious a fawn would be.

Oh boy did that set her off, I was only joking of course.:laughing7:

100_0348.JPG 100_0398.JPG 100_0270.JPG 100_0088.JPG 100_0675.JPG

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny!

Your deer have very impressive racks. Not so much around here - none of that "modified" stuff. Getting an 8-point here is pretty darn good. 10 is great. 12 is AWESOME!

About 3-4 years ago, the largest Elk rack in Minnesota history and second largest in US history was found not too far from here. The old bull jumped over a fence, but the weight of the rack combined with the muddy-muck ground caused him to land face-first on the other side. His rack buried itself so deep in the muck that he couldn't get up. Someone happened upon him (talk about coincidental!!) and called it in. They tried to save the elk but was no use. He "was" allowed to keep the rack, though! ...Will have to see if I can find the article later - assuming anyone is interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread