Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ron,

When I lived on Cosby Tennessee (best place I EVER lived) we had bumper crop years and not so good years for those cherries.

They ain't sweet either,but what a pie they make,with raw sugar of course.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having the same bird problem in my cherry trees :angry5:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robin's love cherries! You can put netting over your trees, or pick them while they are yellow and let them ripen in some bowls for a day or two.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna say, paper bags over the bunches, they may be some left for ya. :laughing7:
Looks like a stack of beer can bags, would do. :laughing7:
They are $4.99 a lb. down here in Fl. :BangHead:

eta: may could tie some tin pie plates in the trees, let them swing around in the breeze, it may deter them, temporarily.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures. I have the same problem with squirrels eating my strawberries. No problem, I have the plants in pots which I will take in before the berries are ripe. Good eating.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Robin's love cherries! You can put netting over your trees, or pick them while they are yellow and let them ripen in some bowls for a day or two.
Thanks OD and Everyone! As soon as I read your reply, I ran out and picked what was left. Only got about a half gallon. Don't know why I didn't think to do that a few days ago.:BangHead: Not just the robins, but cedar waxwings, catbirds, and others have been working on them.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cherries are the ONE fruit I never really cared for. I like anything else lol. My mother always used the tin pan method too in her garden. Works until they figure it out.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother always used the tin pan method too in her garden. Works until they figure it out.
That's one of the reasons, you're suppose to dress your scarecrow, put props in his "hands", and change his clothes, every so often.....
Birds are smart. Once they figure one deterrent out, you better have something to replace it with.
Plastic trash bags on poles, will work too, for a while..... :laughing7:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the birds better hurry up there. 75% of Texas is heading up your way to pick them. Guess those wonderfully sweet northern cherries will be in our grocery stores soon. Can't wait...

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Song birds are protected, shooting should be out of the equation. I sometimes shoot off those bottle rockets at unwanted birds, but make sure that your local laws are okay with it. Also be careful that they do not start an fires.

# 1, & # 3, a good shotgun may solve your problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread