Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a picture I took today of the Metlife building. It was formerly known as The PanAm Building and served as their headquarters.
A few sad events have tarnished this building's history. In 1975, Eli M. Black, the CEO of United Brands,(today it is known as Chiquita Brands), decided to use his briefcase to smash an external window on the 44th floor. He then jumped to his death.
There was a helipad pad on the roof where passengers would use helicopters to shuttle back and forth to the local airports. In 1977, the right front landing gear collapsed on a helicopter while it's rotors were still turning. A 20 foot blade snapped off and ended up causing the deaths of 4 passengers on the roof and one pedestrian on Park Avenue. Helicopters flights were discontinued ever since.

IMG_4474.JPG

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pic. Now go take a photo of Katz's, any walk-in pizza by the slice place and a close-up of a fresh cannoli with like pistachios at one end and chocolate chips at the other. Thanks in advance...

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I worked there about 15 yrs ago. I lived in nj and commuted into penn station and would walk to grand central. I worked for metlife. Cant remember the floor but it high up there. Security was crazy because it was after 9/11 and during iraq

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread