the local country store.
A local man killed this wild hog, in the mountains nearby,
but he has a trophy ranch also, hogs, sheep, etc, any hunters
wanting to hunt here, "come on down".
The wild hogs are getting to be a menace, & a nuisance,
they root up meadows, crops, & will hurt you, if given a
chance. One nearly got a deer hunter last year, he got off a
quick shot, when it charged, turning it away, some folks are
more afraid of the hogs, than the bears or mountain lions.

Fossis.................

Attachments

• Fossils 006.jpg
    Fossils 006.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,523

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could only hope that if I saw one of those things while hunting....is that I had at least 2 other fellows with me...and I could outrun at least one of them..lol Nice hog.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They are fun to hunt. You will only see them in the early morning and at dusk. Ive killed too many to count in the South Florida swamps, farms and cattle ranches. They are hard to exterminate once they start breeding. They learn fast and will not eat just anything so it is hard to poison them. They can be caught with traps. The Florida panther also loves to eat them. The biologists here are trying to expand the panthers range to keep them from extinction and I believe Arkansas is on the list of possible locations. Oh BTW I eat the meat of anything I kill, of course. :)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one of many reasons to pack a gun :o AA

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC_hunter said:
I could only hope that if I saw one of those things while hunting....is that I had at least 2 other fellows with me...and I could outrun at least one of them..lol Nice hog.

Me too, :P,

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cynangyl said:
he certainly does not look friendly! lol

And also had a "bad hair day" ::)

Fossis.................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
They are fun to hunt. You will only see them in the early morning and at dusk. Ive killed too many to count in the South Florida swamps, farms and cattle ranches. They are hard to exterminate once they start breeding. They learn fast and will not eat just anything so it is hard to poison them. They can be caught with traps. The Florida panther also loves to eat them. The biologists here are trying to expand the panthers range to keep them from extinction and I believe Arkansas is on the list of possible locations. Oh BTW I eat the meat of anything I kill, of course. :)

They started turning them loose here, several
years ago, & there were always some here, so they have
really taken off.
Florida Officials came to AR several years ago, trying
to get a count on Mountain lions, they are multiplying
fast, as the deer herd grows, one of the (Okie Hillbillie's)
saw a cat trying to catch a hog, but they made a circle, &
the lion finally gave up on catching one.

I had some wild hog meat a few weeks ago, my son
killed one, "tasty".

Fossis...............

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
looks like an animal straight from the bowels of hell! Maybe I'm silly, I didn't know those mean ones were even in the U.S....just shows what you THINK you know. Wish I had a gun, those and opossums, I would have no remorse about shooting. They are both evil looking.

:::shivers:::

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Used to be the only hogs we had running loose in the woods were feral hogs then someone got the bright idea of turning russian hogs loose. Hence the long heads mean disposition and funky hair. We planted chufa's for the turkeys here at the house about 4 years ago, had about 700 dollars in the seed and fertilizer. About the time the chufa matured the dadgum hogs found it and rooted the entire place up. Last winter while I was at our duck/goose camp the hogs rooted up a 7 acre field that is 21 steps from my front door in about 3 nites. I hate 'em. We caught 16 one night in a hogpen set at the chufa patch and shot another 7 or 8. Here is a picture of two that aint real happy that we caught with dogs about a month ago back behind the house. They really wasnt happy after the picture was taken because we made "tenors" out of 'em...d2

Attachments

• DSC01972.JPG
    DSC01972.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,367

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read in hunting magazines, you can't just pack any old gun and expect to take one of these down. They say they are one of the most tenacious critters out there. People have shot them through the heart and lungs and they still kept coming. They were dead and didn't even know it, lol. Have you guys that have hunted these things found that to be true? Very tough animal to kill?

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No they aint that tuff. Most of we kill we shoot with a .22, in the head. The only time I use anything bigger is when they come by my deer stand during deer season. Now when we are useing dogs I carry my .40 but havent had to use it yet. The boar hogs have a "shield" of gristle behind their shoulders and it's hard to put a .22 ball thru that and into the vitals. So if you are gonna shoot 'em behind the shoulder you something a little bigger than a .22. When the dogs bay 'em we usually catch 'em, put them in a pen and fatten 'em up for a while and BBQ 'em and make sausage...d2

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hit them in the head, they will go down. The shield that the large males develop is tough, but we always aim for the head. Like any wild animal, they are afraid of people. An injured hog when cornered will fight and many dogs are lost to the tough boars that live here in the Big Cypress Swamp of South Florida. They are descendants of Hernando De Soto's hogs brought from Spain to keep as a live food supply during the 16th and 17th centuries. The true descendant of these original hogs are pitch black, have longer legs, tail, tusks and a long snout. Farm hogs that become feral will interbreed which produces all variation of color, and like you said, the Russian boar is also frequently being released as a game animal.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wesfrye53 said:
Hey Fossis, I think I work with his cousin! :o
Better be nice to him Wes !!

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2 said:
Used to be the only hogs we had running loose in the woods were feral hogs then someone got the bright idea of turning russian hogs loose. Hence the long heads mean disposition and funky hair. We planted chufa's for the turkeys here at the house about 4 years ago, had about 700 dollars in the seed and fertilizer. About the time the chufa matured the dadgum hogs found it and rooted the entire place up. Last winter while I was at our duck/goose camp the hogs rooted up a 7 acre field that is 21 steps from my front door in about 3 nites. I hate 'em. We caught 16 one night in a hogpen set at the chufa patch and shot another 7 or 8. Here is a picture of two that aint real happy that we caught with dogs about a month ago back behind the house. They really wasnt happy after the picture was taken because we made "tenors" out of 'em...d2

Funny, about making them "tenors",
The folks around here trap & kill all they can.

"what are chufa's, d 2?"

Fossis............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Hit them in the head, they will go down. The shield that the large males develop is tough, but we always aim for the head. Like any wild animal, they are afraid of people. An injured hog when cornered will fight and many dogs are lost to the tough boars that live here in the Big Cypress Swamp of South Florida. They are descendants of Hernando De Soto's hogs brought from Spain to keep as a live food supply during the 16th and 17th centuries. The true descendant of these original hogs are pitch black, have longer legs, tail, tusks and a long snout. Farm hogs that become feral will interbreed which produces all variation of color, and like you said, the Russian boar is also frequently being released as a game animal.

Good explanation for the folks hunter,
The hogs that escaped, & (some given to indians as gifts),
interbred with the first white settler's feral hogs, thus
creating "Razorback hogs", the mascot of the U. of A.,
that's why the fans call the hogs at games,...Whoooooo,
Pig, sooeee. ;D

Fossis................

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
aw---shooting em? you miss out on all the fun that way---get you a good foot long home made "tooth pick" blade made from a saw mill blade or old leaf spring from a car and a few good bay dogs and couple of mean "catch" dogs then take them down the old way---catch em & "stick em"---folks say its too mean these days but the pig at least gets a fair chance to get even that way---those russian boars are mean critters ---man eaters if they get the chance---we doggie thats some fun----Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread