Critter heads are up

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I got her finished. Kind of looks cluttered, but then I'm a cluttered kind of an old boy.

ManCave5.jpg

I had some pictures on top of the book shelves, but decided to display some of my relics. Over the years, all these relics have been shown and told about on the Native American section of TN. The beads in the center frame were all found by me during WWII when the army had placed a gun emplacement right in the middle of an Indian mound, and when they left, us kids played in it, and found all sorts of stuff. I brought the beads home, and mom saved them for me, otherwise they would have been long gone. All but one or two of the points were found by me over the years. The bear claw neckless came from the same bear whose head adorns the wall. I killed that bear using a muzzleloading rifle, a .62 caliber cap lock, knock off of an English sporting rifle. The pottery bowl has been in the family ever since 1906 or so. It has a price penciled on the bottom, the code telling how much the guy paid for it, and a price of $6. I'm thinking $6 in 1906 was probably a weeks wages, so grandma wanted that pot pretty bad. There's a song from around the 1870's I think, anyhow, some of the words are: "A dollar a day and beans and hay, in the regular army O." What ever, $6 was a lot of money at that time. When I was a kid, it held the screen door open, and we kicked it around with out feet to get it out of the way. The beads hanging by the pot are authentic trade beads.
ManCave7.jpg
The rifle is an antique, as is the pistol. The pouch and horn are not, but the patch knife is an original folder. The powder flask is original. The book ends are a miniature rifle and tomahawk that I think is really neat. The rock on the left was taken from private property with permission as were the detector finds next to it. Kit Carson probably died within feet of that rock on the Arkansas River in Colorado. It's private property so I'm not saying anymore, except the owner was my daughters step dad at one time. Look up where Carson died and you will find out where I was.
The knife above the rifle on the right is also a very old, hand made dagger. I should take some close ups of it and tell the story, because I've already gone on to long here.
ManCave6.jpg

Attachments

• ManCave7.jpg
    ManCave7.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 54

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the only thing missing is a tap

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
the only thing missing is a tap

Why yes, Jeff and I would love to come over and enjoy a cold draft IPA with you.

The small antlers on the right side of the mantle... Jackalope?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing he was at the tap When Taking the Pics G.I.B. Love your Quote at the bottom of your Posts

Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...
sigpic5809_5.gif

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Would still say wonderful, BUT you killed Smokey. Shame on you. Of course, a tap would help with the grief...

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good! What is the story on the Bowie knife, (above the mantle, on the right)?

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The small antlers on the right side of the mantle... Jackalope?

No, not Jackalope, to small. The actual truth of the matter is that down in the Grand Canyon there is an isolated place that never grew enough feed to support the critters there. So the lack of feed caused them to mutate and shrink in size, until there were tiny little deer and buffalo herds in that box canyon. I accidentally fell off a cliff, and luckily survived the fall. Almost died in there, eating them little critters saved my life, but they weren't very filling, so I had to eat a lot of them, and I'm afraid all the little boogers are now extinct. All that's left of them creatures is bones. I had a heck of a time getting out of there, and at my age and health, would have trouble finding my way back. Plumb dangerous place, down in that canyon. That's the truth of the matter, and I'm sticking to it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a regular den to me. I really like the arrowhead collection.:thumbsup: Maybe hang up a few old traps?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
No, not Jackalope, to small. The actual truth of the matter is that down in the Grand Canyon there is an isolated place that never grew enough feed to support the critters there. So the lack of feed caused them to mutate and shrink in size, until there were tiny little deer and buffalo herds in that box canyon. I accidentally fell off a cliff, and luckily survived the fall. Almost died in there, eating them little critters saved my life, but they weren't very filling, so I had to eat a lot of them, and I'm afraid all the little boogers are now extinct. All that's left of them creatures is bones. I had a heck of a time getting out of there, and at my age and health, would have trouble finding my way back. Plumb dangerous place, down in that canyon. That's the truth of the matter, and I'm sticking to it.

You poor man, you are lucky to be alive. All those water survival courses have apparently served you well in the desert...

This is one reason I've always suggested that as part of everyones emergency survival gear, carry a fork and a bottle of BBQ sauce.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't look cluttered to me. It looks lived in. Great job. I believe any fellow would like spending time there.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a regular den to me. I really like the arrowhead collection.:thumbsup: Maybe hang up a few old traps?

" a few taps" ? even better idea

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the display. I have to get something set up like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread