tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided not to spend one more night out for work because the Colorado Rockies are completely filled up this week with tourist from all parts of the globe and I ain't paying no hundred + bucks a night at a motel, so I came home. I came in from Durango Colorado and hit highway 285 through south park. Nothing but lines of cars and construction zones in the high country this week. On my way down 285 back to Denver I decided to switch it up and get off at Conifer Colorado and take Guanella pass over to George Town and I70 east. I couldn't believe how unpopulated that road was. There was hardly anyone the whole way. I guess this high mountain access is just to close to Denver for anyone to have an interest in it? It was nice and cool with steady breeze up there at just about timberline elevation of 11'670 feet above sea level. It's a very short summer this high up and rather nice to take a visit where the Pika's live. I saw one, but the little bugger was camera shy and wouldn't sit still for a photograph.

Attachments

• 070616 1.jpg
    070616 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 070616 2.jpg
    070616 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • 070616 3.jpg
    070616 3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 070616 4.jpg
    070616 4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok you got me! Where do I sign up?!?!? :notworthy:

That first pic is SPECTACULAR!!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to love the higher alpine areas with the cooler breezes. That high country is an excellent place to look for artifacts. Photo #2 would be an ideal area.
Thanks for sharing the photo's.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you got me! Where do I sign up?!?!? :notworthy:

That first pic is SPECTACULAR!!
No signature needed. For you just head south on I29 to I80 go west and then get in line on I76 as you leave Nebraska, You can't miss it. Just keep following all the campers this time of the year.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to love the higher alpine areas with the cooler breezes. That high country is an excellent place to look for artifacts. Photo #2 would be an ideal area.
Thanks for sharing the photo's.
I've never given much though of looking for any this high up. I always look close to rivers and creeks that are running in flatter ground. I'm always inspecting the rocks and terrain for any possible missed rock outcroppings that could be promising in this country.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, you bet! They followed the game as it migrated into the higher alpine areas to get away from the biting flies, and to feed on the fresh new grasses that grew after the snows melted. A lot of times you will find more paleo points at these altitudes.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, you bet! They followed the game as it migrated into the higher alpine areas to get away from the biting flies, and to feed on the fresh new grasses that grew after the snows melted. A lot of times you will find more paleo points at these altitudes.
That's what I started thinking after you mentioned looking for some. There is a pass called Cochetopa that was know by the early mountain men as the place the buffalo could go over the continental divide in the winter. It's a lower pass through the Rockies and the climate up top in the summer is very much cooler with a steady breeze like any pass in the higher elevations. I like to drive over it, as it's still a road many don't travel and it's still a lesser developed area then many other places in the mountains of Colorado these days. I keep thinking on taking some time to explore the summit area for artifacts some day, as I'm sure this pass has been visited for many thousands of years by the ancient hunter gatherers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochetopa_Pass

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful pictures like always. Timber line in the high Sierra Nevada is 10500'. That elevation didn't bother me a bit when I was younger, but it sure does now. Located in the Sierra there is a remote, hard to get to location that to my knowledge, only die hard fishermen go to, where Fish Creek flows into the San Joaquin River. Located there are over 90 bed rock mortars, some with the pestles still in them.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock!! Thanks for the GORGEOUS Pics!! Oh, buy the way the two autos you"re trying to sell look in pretty decent shape!! I think the one in front is the hot rod I had to leave up there the last time I visited in Colorado!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were you, I'd get a driver I could trust that worked cheap and just take pics along the way:laughing7:. Those are some scenes that would make me want to just sit and look and sit and look!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pictures like always. Timber line in the high Sierra Nevada is 10500'. That elevation didn't bother me a bit when I was younger, but it sure does now. Located in the Sierra there is a remote, hard to get to location that to my knowledge, only die hard fishermen go to, where Fish Creek flows into the San Joaquin River. Located there are over 90 bed rock mortars, some with the pestles still in them.
My head felt like it was being crushed when I was back down to 5000 feet no more then an hour from leaving this elevation. Wife was talking at me from upstairs and I could hardly hear word she was saying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions