trade beads

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are a couple of pictures of Indian trade beads. I'm going to put more on the North American Indian Artifact thread, and talk about them a bit there.
beads5.jpg
The beads above are called Russian Facets, and they were traded extensively in the Pacific Northwest. I've seen some really large Russian facets that were found in the area around Pyramid Lake in Nevada. Below the one on the left of the dime is called a Lewis and Clark. Supposedly that is a style of bead traded on the expedition. I don't know the truth of that, but I read in their journals that they ran out of blue beads, and the Natives on the coast wanted blue beads, and would hardly trade for anything else. The other redish bead was traded to the Qunault Nation on the coast of Washington state, by the Hudson Bay Company.
beads14.jpg

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a clay pipe stem near by here and felt it was an item as result of trade from whites because of where I found it, but most in the NAIA forum felt it was an artifact of early settlers and not related to native Americans. I hope to find some beads sometime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread