Grandson's first lingcod

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandson is visiting from Georgia and we took him out fishing at Ft Bragg, CA. We caught a small "black" and decided to use it for bait. The bait hadn't been on the bottom but a few seconds and POW!.....this green lingcod hit it. The water has been too rough for days to do anymore fishing and we haven't been able to get out to the crab trap we put out. Monday looks pretty good though so maybe by then we can fish more and retrieve the trap.

Attachments

• fb1.jpg
    fb1.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 74

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice looking young man but what an ugly fish!:laughing7: Are they tasty?

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are among the best tasting bottom fish out there. The green lingcod are unusual in that the meat is a pea-green color but, when you cook it, it turns snow white. The grandsons decided that, if the ocean is too rough to fish, they'll just go kayaking in the Noyo River where we camp. Lots of seals and other wildlife along the river so it makes for a fun trip.

Attachments

• fb7.jpg
    fb7.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 62

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember Mom putting that green meat in the skillet, and me saying, "I'm not going to eat that." I sure changed my mind once on my plate, white meat with a wonderful taste. My dad would take party boats out to bottom fish on his days off, and it seems like I was weaned on rock cod and lingcod. Ate so much fish as a kid, I don't much care for it now. If you go to a restaurant on the Oregon coast, and they have lingcod on the menu, the price of the meal is quoted as, "at market." Which simply means it aint cheap. It's great that you can get out with your grandson, making memories the boy will remember always.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that is one U-G-L-Y fish!! Had never heard of them before.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember Mom putting that green meat in the skillet, and me saying, "I'm not going to eat that." I sure changed my mind once on my plate, white meat with a wonderful taste.

Once dinner was served, did she ever pull the old "I made this meal especially for you, since you wouldn't eat the green fish!" routine? :laughing7:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, ugly but tasty!! Years ago my wife's uncle visited from Kansas, some Lings were caught and when they were cleaned he thought they had gone bad due to the green flesh!! :laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother's dad was to me the most favorite fella I ever fished with. My dad was great to be with, but grandpa was kinda special.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread