I wish I could take the kind of pictures Chris takes....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This was out my back kitchen window a little bit ago. It had a very short tail and tall ears, about twice the size of my cats.

Bobcat?

Clearest.JPG

Goof.JPG

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clicked it 3 times.....(enlarged) I think it's a young cougar.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The tail looked like it was in the neighborhood of say 6" long, and tapered, not bobbed. It looked at the house, looked back towards below the house and took off into the "jungle" on the ridge behind. Mom said she saw a cougar in the yard about 5 years ago and said that its' back was high as the kitchen table. That ridge this cat came from is bear territory.

My picture rejects = not real clear:

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with cougar....

I saw a bobcat when I was very young, but don't remember its' head looking like this ones' did.

Cougars in Virginia!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm on the North Slope of Bull Mountain, at about 3200 ft - and the big ones are just about 10 miles North of me.

My driveway is a kilometer (6/10's of a mile) long up the holler. Behind me is about 7 - 10 miles up to the top of Bull Mountain, and then figuring 7 - 10 miles down the South Slope to civilization, This is critter territory!

They had a 50,000 plant pot bust last year, said it was Mexican gangs. Went through a road check a few months back, was chatting with the officer and he asked me where I lived and I told him. And he said "Oh, that's where the pot bust was". Wow, the newspaper didn't say where it was! I had been wondering why those black copters were hovering over my house twice prior to the bust. I waved at them during their hovering.

I'd mentioned that ridge was bear territory. Cousin Bill and I walked that ridge last Winter, bear scat all over the place. While I was working up North, Mom had sent me pics of the bear & cubs in the front yard under the pear tree eating the droppings from the tree....

I have a wee bit of wilderness here...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, young mountain lion. Just coming into its own. Great to see, amazing to photograph. You are lucky...

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1990, I was doing the census on Bull Mountain. There was a guy up the mountain that had a "pet" mountain lion. He was told that he had to get rid of it and when the authorities checked back, he no longer had the cat. Locals said that he cut it loose. Shortly after, a woman on Pole Bridge Rd. started loosing goats. Maybe this is a relative.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, young mountain lion. Just coming into its own. Great to see, amazing to photograph. You are lucky...

Lucky as long as it's well fed :)

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I zoomed in with Photoshop and have isolated this picture:

Cougar copy.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure does look like a young Mountain Lion. ''Surprise!'' You never know when you may be offered a chance to see one.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"I wish I could take the kind of pictures Chris takes.... "
...You mean photos without screen?? :laughing7:

Yes, Chris is well accomplished!

I agree - looks like a cougar, especially when you enlarged the image. Thanks for that.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen one adult mountain lion in all the miles I've driven in the Rocky mountains. I did see once some kinda wild cat come out on the road ahead of me in Wyoming and go back the same way it came out as I approached it. It had a real long tail and I swear the tip of its tail had black and white stripes. In Southern New Mexico I'd see bob cats in the Black range mountains a few times along the roads. Wild cats are rare to see.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker, save your dinner scraps and set them out and call kitty, kitty, kitty.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool. I know a little about bobcats and feel confident saying that ain't one. I live in lion country and have seen some sign but never seen one yet. I am pretty sure they have seen me many times and thank you Lord they let me pass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread