Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hornet\'s Nests.jpg
You can see a few tools on the wall, I was mostly wanting you to see the 2 hornets' nests...the one on the left was found by my husband about 40 years ago; the one on the right was found by my son within the last 10 years. I understand these are selling at $50-$75 each...both of them are sentimental, so no selling.
Farm Tools.jpg
A few hand tools, horse bits, animal trap, branding iron, 2 cow horns, 2 crocks, & the hiking sticks I made.
Tractor Seat.jpg
This is the old machinery seat found inside the blacksmith shop...Walter A. Wood; Hoosick Falls, NY

;) RR

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
That is a great display River. I love the bees nests, I think my husband would quiver every time he walked by them though. He got stung again yesterday, he swells up pretty bad when he gets bit. I have'nt been stung in years and he tends to get stung a few times a year.

Thanks for showing us!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen some of those old tractor/equipment seats made into garden seats. They were pretty neat......and pricey!
Country, have your husband buy the "Sawyer" brand snakebite kit. They work great on beestings also. We had a guy here that was so allergic to bees he had to carry the syringe kit. He got stung and used the snakebite kit first and never had to use the syringe.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Great shots RR...I have to agree with CG's hubby, I'd have to look at those nests every time I went by...just to be sure!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat pic's, I used to stuff leaves in hornets nest's
& bring them home, they would buzz until the whole
nest would vibrate, so I released them the next day.
I did an experiment, I hung the nest in a shed, & fed
them pears, but after a few weeks they all died.
I wonder if the young ones flew away, & the old
one's had lived out their cycle ?
Any insect people here?

Fossis...............

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
The older bees would have flown back to the original location, expecting the nest to be there. The younger bees would have flown back to the nest in your shed since they would have identified that as their home. Hornets live on insects and caterpillars, not pears. Would this have been in the fall and the frost killed off their food supply?

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
The older bees would have flown back to the original location, expecting the nest to be there. The younger bees would have flown back to the nest in your shed since they would have identified that as their home. Hornets live on insects and caterpillars, not pears. Would this have been in the fall and the frost killed off their food supply?

Yes, it was in the fall, but they seemed to love the pears,
they just died one by one.

Fossis..............

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
It's possible that the queen left the hive, since it was in the fall. She is the only bee that survives the winter. The queen will burrow into the ground only to emerge the next spring to start a new colony. The worker bees die off in the fall.

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CD, it may be years before you find another nest. Look at how many years between the 2 I have.

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread