More Desert Stuff

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
These pictures are the Doherty ranch, located in Guano Valley, Oregon. I don't know any of the history of this place, except it has been abandoned for a long time.
Doherty Ranch6.jpg
The above picture is the house. There is a second story, and at one time it looks like it was a nice place.

Doherty Ranch7.jpg

The next picture is the house and an out building, which might have been a bunk house.
Doherty Ranch5.jpg

The root cellar.
Doherty Ranch1.jpg

Inside the root cellar.
Doherty Ranch2.jpg

Close up of the out building and inside it. The floor is caving in, so there is no way I was going inside.
Doherty Ranch3.jpg
Doherty Ranch3A.jpg
Doherty Ranch4.jpg

Finally what's left of the corrals.
Doherty Ranch8.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Shots! :occasion14:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good pics. The west was much wetter a hundred years ago. There were still grizzlies on our desert as late as 1918. No way they could live there now.
You look at those ranch pics, and see how dry it is, but it was a nicer place back then. I imagine lack of precipitation eventually drove them out.
Jim

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good pics. The west was much wetter a hundred years ago. There were still grizzlies on our desert as late as 1918. No way they could live there now.
You look at those ranch pics, and see how dry it is, but it was a nicer place back then. I imagine lack of precipitation eventually drove them out.
Jim
Fremont came through that country in 1845/46, in what is now called "Lake County, Oregon." There are still a number of lakes, but they aren't as large as when Fremont found them. Guano Valley got it's name from Fremont, who came to a lake that had so many geese on it that the water was totally unpalatable, and he named it Guano Lake. Doherty must have had a pretty good well, because there are no springs or evidence of springs where the buildings are located. There is a Guano creek, that has water in it, but not anywhere close to these ranch buildings, so the country had to be wetter even100 years ago. I saw no windmill, but there is a huge tank for water storage, so there was probably a windmill in conjunction to it. The nails in the building are wire, no square nails.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The foundation of the outbuilding looks like it was laid by a pretty good mason. That house looks more like tobacco barns I grew up around in Kentucky. Great pictures. I really enjoy seeing pics from the western US from you guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread