tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along the Dolores river I stopped to take in the sights and way down below in the canyon I spot some River Otters just going about their business in the muddy waters. It was quite a treat to get a couple pictures of them. In the 1st picture is where I spotted them with the red arrow where they were way down below just being Otter's. I had to go with max zoom on this little tourist cam in order to get a somewhat decent capture of these very elusive little guys. Good thing they didn't know they were being watched or they'd a just submerged under that muddy water and gone out a sight. Moments like this make me want one of those high-end SLR's with one of those mini Hubble telescopic lenses. Maybe someday when I got a spare 6 grand laying around and nothing else to spend it on I'll get one.

Attachments

• otter 1.jpg
    otter 1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 98
  • otter 2.jpg
    otter 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • otter 3.jpg
    otter 3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • otter 4.jpg
    otter 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Awesome, those are one of my favorite critters!! You did great capturing them!......Looks like the sun was out. When I see them it's usually, cloudy, raining, or just plain not enough light.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think I have ever seen otters in the wild. Thanks for letting me see them as they really are.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, tose are one of my favorite critters!! You did great capturing them!......Looks like the sun was out. When I see them it's usually, cloudy, raining, or just plain not enough light.
The clouds were just clearing. They were sure in and out of that murky water. I've only heard they could be found in the Colorado River and this river runs into the Colorado and is nothing like a river in the North Western States. This is the desert country of the Colorado Plateau They slither along like snakes in the water. At first I thought they were some big carp. I've only seen sea otters before in the wild.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I love otters. Used to spend hours watching the sea otters in California These look to be well fed and they are beautiful. Wish we had them here, besides at Seaworld...

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I text pictures to my wife and she replied Ew, are you sure those aren't big rats. She's a real rodentaphob. She'll literally ask me to get off the road and come home when there's a mouse in the house. The cat just kills them and leaves them on the floor. She's somewhat ok to sweep them up in a dust pan and dump them out.

Last edited:

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I text pictures to my wife and she replied Ew, are you sure those aren't big rats. She's a real rodentaphob. She'll literally ask me to get off the road and come home when there's a mouse in the house. The cat just kills them and leaves them on the floor. She's somewhat ok to sweep them up in a dust pan and dump them out.
:laughing7::laughing7:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good job on the pics, Tam. I've seen otters in Idaho, but had no idea they were that far south. I'll bet they have atough time catching fish in that murky water.
Jim

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky you! They have a few in the Blue River over around Silverthorne but they're hard to spot. I think they migrated here from where DOW reintroduced them. They probably already know about the ones you got to see, but DOW likes to get reports when they're spotted in other parts of the state.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did fill out a sighting report form on line. I doubt I'd a slotted them if the river was clear, as they stood out when they surfaced in that muddy water. Look for their tracks along the Blue.

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see them quite often in Shasta Lake near Redding, CA. And worldtalker, you are spot on about them eating plenty of fish. I saw a guy that was on a houseboat tied up to the dock one night. I could tell he was tugging on something and I heard a lot of splashing. He was trying to get his stringer of fish back from the otters. :) I've also seen them open lids on minnow buckets that were wired closed to keep them out. They just bend back the lid and party down. Very smart critters!!

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are very rare in my neck of the woods...I have been trying to spot one for years.Thanks for shareing.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I see them quite often in Shasta Lake near Redding, CA. And worldtalker, you are spot on about them eating plenty of fish. I saw a guy that was on a houseboat tied up to the dock one night. I could tell he was tugging on something and I heard a lot of splashing. He was trying to get his stringer of fish back from the otters. :) I've also seen them open lids on minnow buckets that were wired closed to keep them out. They just bend back the lid and party down. Very smart critters!!

I knew a guy when I lived in the Great Smoky Mountains that had His ponds cleaned by em.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got reply from the Colorado Otter folks on my sighting report. Also I'll post a few more pictures I took that day. Maybe next I'll spot the Wolf's that have been rumored to have entered the state of Colorado from Wyoming.

Grant,

Thank you for reporting your river otter sighting on the Dolores River and for sharing your great photos. I have entered your observation in the Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s river otter tracking database, a follow up to the state’s reintroduction program.

We appreciated hearing from you. Please let us know if you see otters in Colorado again and if possible, again, please take photos as those are helpful to us for our conservation efforts.

Tracy Johnston

Colorado Parks and Wildlife River Otter Project

Attachments

• otter c.jpg
    otter c.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • otter d.jpg
    otter d.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • otter e.jpg
    otter e.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
  • otter f.jpg
    otter f.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • otter g.jpg
    otter g.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on being a part of the monitoring program. Now I guess I need to look into seeing if I need to inform someone about what I believe I saw today. Great pics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread