Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I made a trip to the wetlands around midday today. Usually I get there just after they open the gate, but it worked out ok for me. I got pics of the green heron and at least one, maybe more, Great Blue Herons. K1600_IMG_1399.JPG K1600_IMG_1427.JPG K1600_IMG_1458.JPG K1600_IMG_1461.JPG K1600_IMG_1470.JPG

I saw a new one for me at that location anyway. It was solid white and might possibly be a Snowy Egret. I hope you can see enough to help me ID it. Hope everyone saw something great ( like Worldtalker's bobcat:occasion14: ).
K1600_IMG_1410.JPG

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which picture has this Egret looking bird in it you mention OD ? I think I know what you're talking about, as I see these white birds around here also. Seems when I do see them they're just one with a couple of Herons around also.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the last picture Tamrock. The one with the vegetation hiding most of it's body. I posted it on the photo forum I am a member of and the folks that know quite a bit about birds believe it is a White Egret. I could hear herons calling on that side of the canal when I saw it too. Maybe they are so closely related they don't mind them being around.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics! There's an old blue heron that hangs around the fish cleaning station at the place we camp near Ft Bragg. I think he's too old to catch much on his own so he hangs out where the easy life is.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics...thanks for shareing.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the last picture Tamrock. The one with the vegetation hiding most of it's body. I posted it on the photo forum I am a member of and the folks that know quite a bit about birds believe it is a White Egret. I could hear herons calling on that side of the canal when I saw it too. Maybe they are so closely related they don't mind them being around.
I though that was another Heron :dontknow:

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shorebird.jpg

Found this cedar root walking one of my washes, it was hung up in the rocks w/a jawbone saw. Shorebirds coveted by many civilizations.

I was reminded if I was gonna tell a tale I was short an ending oops ...it got light and the heron spooked I was so close. He flew off w/the fish partially swallowed. He didn't gain an inch as I watched and I think he was in dire straits. After some deliberation, was he trying to stun the fish to facilitate swallowing ie no swelling/rigid fins or dislodge him to survive. The fish was still frisky.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I see two of those egrets flying low up river today,I was giving Carmine a hand so I missed taking a pic..sure was a sight,that pure white with the greenery along the river as background.

GOD Bless

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread