kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all. As I have to watch my data time, I haven't posted pics in a while. Have a little catching up to do, so doing it all in one post. Hope you don't mind.

2016.07.29 Fuzzy Grasses -- -- These grasses grow along the side of the road and in some farm fields every year. On the way to town yesterday, I cut a few on the way in, but they were already fully dried and a little wind-blown from traffic.....and wind! Saw a place that we stopped on the way home and got some nicer stalks. Have NO IDEA what this stuff is!!
2016.07.29 Fuzzy Grasses.1.JPG 2016.07.29 Fuzzy Grasses.2.JPG

2016.07.29 Fuzzy Grasses.3.JPG 2016.07.29 Fuzzy Grasses.4.JPG

2016.07.14 Moon and the Trees -- -- I think the wife took this shot. I'm not brave enough to face all the skeeters after dark! :laughing9:
2016.07.14 Moon and the Trees.JPG

2016.07.01 Deer -- -- We had gone for a drive even farther in the middle of nowhere than where we live - and that's pretty darn far out! Along the way, we first happened across this button buck who was having a conniption fit from all the horse flies biting him. We first saw him at about 220 yards. We stopped and he just kept coming closer and closer. Couldn't tell if he wanted us to put him out of his misery or if he thought maybe we could help get rid of the pests. He - was - miserable!! After a while though, he chose to head for dense cover - I suppose trying to let the vegetation brush the bloodsuckers off. About a mile later we saw this doe about 450 yards away. She walked towards us up to about 300 yards before we started moving again. At about 200 yards, she left the road and headed into the brush.
2016.07.01 Button Buck pestered by horse flies - 100 yards away.JPG 2016.07.01 Doe - 300 yards away.JPG

2016.06.29 Canola Field -- -- The field wasn't quite at the peak of beauty, but this would be our only trip past. All the canola was harvested before we went to town again. This field is mediocre. In the past, have seen fields so bright yellow that you almost needed sunglasses just to look at them!
2016.06.29 Canola Field.JPG

2016.06.27 White Flowers -- -- There's an interesting story behind these flowers. After we got married, we lost our house to fire. A plant like this burned off level with the ground. We thought for sure it was dead! But it grew back, and I mean with a vengeance!! We transplanted it to a sunnier location (out of the way of the new home), and it thrived even more. Then we transplanted it up here. It's so cold and such a high water table that the plant hasn't bloomed in well over a decade. This is the first year it has bloomed at this property, and OH!, it smelled so awesome!! I think the flowering plants just needed that drier-than-normal Spring for their start. But like always, it ended up being an ultra-high water table again before too long.
2016.06.27 White Flowers.1.JPG 2016.06.27 White Flowers.2.JPG

2016.06.27 White Flowers.3.JPG 2016.06.27 White Flowers.4.JPG

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can catch up anytime you like. Interesting grass. Not sure if I have seen it or not.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Grass looks similar to Buffalo grass. Nice pics.
Looked up Buffalo Grass using Bing Images - definitely not that. Yeah, don't have a clue what it is. Just know it's really fine, almost like human hairs. ...Maybe more like horse hair, only longer. The ones on the side of the road (cut going into town) were real short, but then the sides of the roads had been mowed recently. Off where nothing has mowed throughout the year, they can get to be about 18" tall. Have NEVER seen them taller.

Used to have a few growing in our yard when we first moved here and were first cutting the 6'-tall+ grasses every 2-3 days! Didn't have many in the yard. Now we have none. They just sorta disappeared. ...But then, they grew only during the 2 drier years that we've been here...back when the water table actually fell to more than 6" below the surface! :laughing7: Actually, it probably dropped to about 8' to 10' one summer. We were under such intensive burn bans that it was even illegal to use a gas grill!!

Somewhere we have a book showing native grasses of Minnesota. ...But then, it'd probably be faster for me to walk a sample all the way to Minneapolis and wait for a study to be done! :laughing9: Will try doing a web search later. But for now, heading back to crash again for a while. Yesterday really did us in!

The MAIN thing we'd like to identify is the plant with the white flowers. Someone who owned a garden nursery once told us what he "thought" they might be, according to our description, but I don't think that was it. ...Now we have pics!
Goofy-Toothy smiley (small).jpg

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Learned something about the grasses. Once they dry out, just the slightest breeze will have those fine, little hair-things flying through the air - about 7-10 hairs per seed. It's AMAZING how well those little things can fly! Have been finding them in the weirdest places around here, also!

2016.07.30 The Fly-Away's.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread