tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a little round trip to Canon City Colo. today. On the way down I went via hwy 9 through South Park and didn't take any pictures that way. I only took a couple pictures coming back through the upper Arkansas river valley. The first is a view of the mountain on the Arkansas river just south of the town of Cotopaxi and the second is from Loveland pass as I was waiting on road construction. The tourist situation was very heavy in the mountains this trip. I really believe the legalization of marijuana has a lot to do with this increase of Colorado tourism. So much has changed in the upper Arkansas valley from the time I first went to live there 38 years ago.

Attachments

• canon city 080116 1.jpg
    canon city 080116 1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 66
  • canon city 080116 2.jpg
    canon city 080116 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The only place I've been on the Arkansas River was near Lamar. Sure wasn't much water in it down there, and not a lot of scenery either.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the pictures! that second one has some well placed shadows.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't mind having that first pic as my back yard!! Both are great! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only place I've been on the Arkansas River was near Lamar. Sure wasn't much water in it down there, and not a lot of scenery either.
I've been through Lamar. I can't remember much about it though.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the pictures! that second one has some well placed shadows.
I know, partly cloudy skies emit some wonderful lighting over a landscape.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You travel to some beautiful places.

Are you just taking photos or prospecting/detecting the areas?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You travel to some beautiful places.

Are you just taking photos or prospecting/detecting the areas?
I am prospecting for business. I do have an MD, but I never have taken it all that much with me. I did see a fella washing gold out of the Arkansas along the way and I use to do it years ago in the same river. The rock quarry I went to visit is blasting rock and washing the old river channel alluvium also. They also do wash the sands further for the gold recovery in it on top of all the rock production. It's all flower gold though, but with the tons of materiel in river rock they they process they can recover enough gold to add to the cost of operation overhead.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't figure yet what increase that legalization deal has produced. I know it definitely has some, and mostly the increase comes from so-called 'Bible Belt' states. I deal with the public regularly and often get asked where the liquor store is but never where the rec stores are. I got a tax refund because of it and thank you dopers of America. C'mon and do better this ski season, cause I'm thinkin about a camper shell for my truck.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I remember Lamar has one stop light. Anyhow, here is a picture of the view near the Arkansas River near Lamar.
bents ft homestead.jpg
And another one.
bents ft kids looking.jpg
This is the site of Bent's second fort on the Arkansas. Note the magnificent scenery. My daughter and grand kids ad to the beauty of the scene. Kit Carson died here in May of 1868, only it was called Fort Lyon at that time. And it is on private property and we had permission to be there.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I can't figure yet what increase that legalization deal has produced. I know it definitely has some, and mostly the increase comes from so-called 'Bible Belt' states. I deal with the public regularly and often get asked where the liquor store is but never where the rec stores are. I got a tax refund because of it and thank you dopers of America. C'mon and do better this ski season, cause I'm thinkin about a camper shell for my truck.
:laughing7::laughing7:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I remember Lamar has one stop light. Anyhow, here is a picture of the view near the Arkansas River near Lamar.
View attachment 1343182
And another one.
View attachment 1343183
This is the site of Bent's second fort on the Arkansas. Note the magnificent scenery. My daughter and grand kids ad to the beauty of the scene. Kit Carson died here in May of 1868, only it was called Fort Lyon at that time. And it is on private property and we had permission to be there.
I've read books and stories on Bents Old fort. One book you may have an interest in is, "Entrepreneurs of the Old West".https://books.google.com/books/abou...Old_West.html?id=3zxRPwAACAAJ&source=kp_cover I believe it mentioned some tails of Bent's Fort. The book was first published in 1986 and that was about the time I checked it out of the library. I do recall it had some interesting story's of what commerce was like on the Santa Fe trail and other business venture of the old west. I may just look for it to read again.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right On:thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post BosnMate. Bent blew up his old fort, left the country for a while then returned and built a log post farther east at Big Timbers. He then built a stone fort above Big Timbers which appears to be where you're at and just cooler than hell you got to be there. The military leased this and called it Ft. Wise at first, then changed the name to Ft. Lyon. They finally moved the post farther west to its present location. I believe this is where Carson died, and was later buried in Taos, NM. Great part of southern plains history which I've always studied. I've been to Bent's Old Fort a few times now and to George Bent's grave which is in Colony, OK. The Pasquinel boys were loosely based on the younger Bents in the mini series Centennial. Being from the Southern Plains, that scenery does have certain charms that I miss now and then. All I know about Lamar, is when I get there I turn right to go to Oklahoma.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post BosnMate. Bent blew up his old fort, left the country for a while then returned and built a log post farther east at Big Timbers. He then built a stone fort above Big Timbers which appears to be where you're at and just cooler than hell you got to be there. The military leased this and called it Ft. Wise at first, then changed the name to Ft. Lyon. They finally moved the post farther west to its present location. I believe this is where Carson died, and was later buried in Taos, NM. Great part of southern plains history which I've always studied. I've been to Bent's Old Fort a few times now and to George Bent's grave which is in Colony, OK. The Pasquinel boys were loosely based on the younger Bents in the mini series Centennial. Being from the Southern Plains, that scenery does have certain charms that I miss now and then. All I know about Lamar, is when I get there I turn right to go to Oklahoma.

My understanding is the army moved Ft. Lyon one mile west, which puts it under a bridge abutment. Fort Lyon was moved just about the same time, perhaps a little later than Kit's death. So it's really kind of a toss up where he died. There is only evidence of one building where we were, and I've figured if they were building a new fort, and this one had a standing building, he probably died in that building. Anyhow, he died within a mile of either place. Here is a picture of an outline of the building. I found a couple of mashed flat minie balls, and some square nails. Daughter found a couple of turquoise colored glass beads.

bents ft wall.jpg
The picture doesn't show it very well, but those rocks are what's left of a wall, and where the kids are standing the wall makes left turn. It was a rectangle building.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread