Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I apologize for posting so many pics but today gave me a lot to see. First were the Great Blue Heron and the Great Egret together. They weren't very close so I had to crop the pics quite a bit. That affects the quality. You get what ya get, right?

K1600_IMG_2292.JPG K1600_IMG_2247.JPG K1600_IMG_2232.JPG K1600_IMG_2198.JPG

For some reason the pics did not upload in the order I selected them, so I guess these hummers are next lol. This afternoon was very cloudy so I had to use a very high ISO and there is quite a bit of noise in them, so again...you get what ya get:BangHead:

K1600_IMG_2474.JPG K1600_IMG_2468.JPG K1600_IMG_2467.JPG K1600_IMG_2466.JPG K1600_IMG_2465.JPG

Ok, back to the Wetlands pics now.

K1600_IMG_2382.JPG K1600_IMG_2376.JPG K1600_IMG_2363.JPG K1600_IMG_2347.JPG

Now these next 3 pics are very special to me. They show what I believe are the head, back and tail of an otter. There were 2 that were hunting frogs or fish and this is the very first time I have ever seen any in the wild! I was very appreciative for the chance to see them even though it was limited. Hopefully Tamrock, RGINN or anyone else that is familiar with otters will confirm them for me. They were about 2 1/2 - 3 ft long and slender. I only saw them as they are in the pics and didn't get to see them out of the water.

K1600_IMG_2219.JPG K1600_IMG_2235.JPG K1600_IMG_2220.JPG

Thanks for looking and sorry for so many pictures again:laughing7:

Attachments

• K1600_IMG_2479.JPG
    K1600_IMG_2479.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 53

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The head and the tail looks like all the other otter pictures I've been looking at lately. They're not all that rare in many parts of the country, but they were just about extinct here in Colorado and that's why the Colorado Parks and Wildlife River Otter Project wants ever sighting reported. Some areas the otters in Colorado where released no otters were ever seen or reported again and one can only assume they either didn't like where they were released and moved somewhere else or they didn't survive :( I'd stake out that body of water and try to get some more picture of what that is. Maybe get up in a near by tree looking over the water? Great Humming Bird shots.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like an Otter to me. Other choice would be nutria. Otters have a heavy tail, nutrias look like an over sized rat. We had both in the log pond where I worked for 31 years. Some place I have pictures of those Otters, but those were back in the days of film and prints, and I haven't the foggiest where they might be now. The huge air compressor was water cooled, and the warm water was discharged back into the pond. Fish would gather in that water, and the otters would have a field day, catch fish and then come up on the cat walk right at your feet and eat the fish.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"...nutrias look like an over sized rat."

Nutrias ARE an oversized rat! :laughing7: Had them in a nearby lake growing up in Texas. Have river otter even way up here, but no nutrias - thankfully.

Old Dude - not overly pic-heavy at all!! I can certainly see why you posted so many - they're awesome! ...Gonna have to edge it out to the hummers, though. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. I was fairly certain they were an otter but I will always accept input. Looks like the tail of a Nutria is thinner and the animal looks like a muskrat almost. At first I thought these were beavers, but once I quit watching the Egret and Heron and paid attention to them, I couldn't contain my excitement. The head would break the surface and then dive. The back would come rolling out of the water ( I instantly thought of the famous Loch Ness pics ) and then the tail would appear. I would just have to guess where it would surface again so I could try and get pics. Once I saw there were 2 of them, I noticed they seemed to be hunting together and driving their prey into one end of the pond so the congestion might make it easier to catch them. All the water is covered in algae and moss now so climbing a tree wouldn't give me any more view. Good idea otherwise though. Rules of the preserve says stay on the trails and no destruction so I probably couldn't anyway. Thanks again for your thoughts:icon_thumright:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"I instantly thought of the famous Loch Ness pics"

You "DO" know that the mystery of Loch Ness has been solved, haven't you?? It was actually quite simple. A Texas otter got lost one day and ended up in Scotland. As they had never seen an otter of such size, they just assumed it was something prehistoric. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions